This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Performance of Sleeping Beauty at Kennedy Center

I attended the Saturday Matinee performance of Sleeping Beauty.  It was truly a delight.  The house was full,  the dancers were all wonderful and the audience was appreciative and enthusiastic, with good reason.   Princess Aurora was danced splendidly by Katherine Barkman and Prince Desire' was danced spectacularly by Rolando Sarabia. 

Katherine was warm, engaging, smooth and buoyant.  She clearly appreciated every other dancer she came in contact with.  She also charmed them all.    She is Charismatic, and a lovely, lovely dancer.  

Rolando was full on dance master in this performance.  I'm not a dance expert so I struggle a bit to articulate what it is about him that's so special.  He leaps, bounds, spins and then lands full stop in such a way that it seems as if he hadn't been moving at all.  And then, he beams because he knows he nailed it, again.  I think his partnership with Katherine Barkman is a really good one.   They made everybody happy, and they seemed pretty darned happy themselves.

Kateryna Derechyna danced a lovely Lilac.  Victoria Arrera, an apprentice, danced Princess Florine.  It's a good way to begin.  Our Bluebird was danced by Masanori Takiguchi; he is still in the Studio Company.  I thought he did a great job. He's a big jumper.   The white Cat and Puss-in-Boots were danced adorably by Brittany Stone and Corey Landolt.   And, let me not forget to mention Daniel Roberge who played a really cool Carabosse.   I don't know how else to describe  his characterization.  He was over the top, but not way over.   He was menacing, and he made me giggle.  

This was truly a stellar performance by all and the audience let it be known.   There was a joyous standing ovation at the conclusion of the performance, and to everybody's pleasant surprise there were also individual curtain calls.  All of the lead female dancers received little bouquets, including the one that was really a man.   This is significant because any kind of blooming thing handed out at a Saturday Matinee at KC is kind out of the ordinary.  Keep the flowers coming! 

I hope this signals more good things to come from and for TWB.  Thank you Julie Kent!

Sarabita's-(Rolando Sarabia)- career has been quite a rollercoaster. I saw his amazing beginning as a very young Principal in Havana-(I believe he wasn't even 20 when he was promoted). Then I saw his lukewarm passing through the Balanchine repertoire here in Miami. He wasn't really made for leotard or abstract ballets. And he gained weight here. And then his ocassional dancing with the now defunct Cuban Classical Ballet of Miami, in which he sparkled-(Don Q, Giselle, La Fille Mal Gardee, Swan Lake). And then his period as a freelance, which I thought were his last days as a dancer-(no company and approaching 40). This "come back" stage is truly a wonderful thing. I think he should forever be grateful to Julie Kent for having believed in his inner great artistry. 

I'm very happy he's back dancing his beloved Petipa repertoire.

MERDE on his future endeavors!

Cubanmiamiboy, 

I was sitting in the third row so I could really see the expressions on Rolando's face.   To me it was clear that he felt like he was somehow back to where he knew he was supposed to be;  dancing a beautiful production in front of a full house who really appreciates his artistry,  and cheers him on as he blows their minds. 

I think he, along with others on the stage, had a wave of emotion when they saw how heart felt  the standing ovation was.  

1 hour ago, theo said:

Cubanmiamiboy, 

I was sitting in the third row so I could really see the expressions on Rolando's face.   To me it was clear that he felt like he was somehow back to where he knew he was supposed to be;  dancing a beautiful production in front of a full house who really appreciates his artistry,  and cheers him on as he blows their minds. 

I think he, along with others on the stage, had a wave of emotion when they saw how heart felt  the standing ovation was.  

Ojh...he LOVES the cheering and whistling! And he LOVES his bravura roles. He didn't have neither one here with MCB. If he's near retirement, having such success in such lavish production of the quintessential Petipa is certainly a triumph.

On 3/5/2019 at 3:50 PM, cubanmiamiboy said:

Ojh...he LOVES the cheering and whistling! And he LOVES his bravura roles. He didn't have neither one here with MCB. If he's near retirement, having such success in such lavish production of the quintessential Petipa is certainly a triumph.

I feel very fortunate to be able to see him at this point in his career. Bravo Rolando!

Edited by theo
edited for grammar