This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

James Sofranko Appointed New AD of Grand Rapids Ballet

I just got an email from San Francisco Ballet announcing that SFB Soloist James Sofranko will be the new AD of Grand Rapids Ballet, succeeding Patricia Barker, at the end of this season:

Soloist James Sofranko Appointed Artistic Director of Grand Rapids Ballet

Join us as we congratulate SF Ballet Soloist James Sofranko's appointment as artistic director of Grand Rapids Ballet in Michigan. He will officially join the company on July 1, 2018, following SF Ballet's 2018 Season. Sofranko said, "I'm so grateful that Helgi gave me the opportunity to work for such a world-class company 18 years ago and I have learned so much from my experience with SF Ballet. I will miss San Francisco, and performing on the Opera House stage for our dedicated audiences, but I am excited for the next stage of my artistic life as a director, choreographer, curator, and producer of dance."

At Grand Rapids Ballet, Sofranko will be responsible for all artistic direction and strategic planning including programming, hiring of dancers and choreographers, outreach, and touring. He will also continue to develop SFDanceworks as artistic director.

Sofranko joined the Company as a corps de ballet member in 2000, after obtaining a BFA from The Juilliard School. He was promoted to soloist in 2007. At SF Ballet, he has originated roles in ballets by William Forsythe, Margaret Jenkins, Mark Morris, Yuri Possokhov, and Liam Scarlett. 

"James is an intelligent, thoughtful, and versatile dancer who has dedicated so much to the Company over the last 18 seasons," said Artistic Director & Principal Choreographer Helgi Tomasson. "He has also made a lasting impact on the Bay Area dance community through performances he has produced himself. With his vision, I have no doubt that he will bring Grand Rapids Ballet to new heights, and I wish him all the best on this exciting new chapter. We will miss him."

Good for him! :flowers: