This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

SFB Returns to China With a Tour to Beijing & Shanghai, October 21

I've been trying to guess where the next SFB "international" tour would go - Somewhere in Asia (I figured Japan) and Cuba were my top choices. But China is the destination:

San Francisco Ballet ... has announced that it will undertake a two-city tour to the People’s Republic of China this fall. The tour will include prestigious engagements in Beijing and Shanghai from October 21-31, for a total of six performances. The tour marks the second visit by SF Ballet to China; the Company first performed there in 2009.

SF Ballet will present three programs on tour, including SF Ballet Artistic Director & Principal Choreographer Helgi Tomasson’s full-length production of Giselle and two mixed-repertory programs featuring a range of acclaimed works by George Balanchine, Hans van Manen, SF Ballet Choreographer in Residence Yuri Possokhov, Jerome Robbins, Liam Scarlett, Tomasson, and Christopher Wheeldon.

“We are delighted to be returning to China six years after our first visit,” said Tomasson. “The Beijing and Shanghai audiences are very enthusiastic and we look forward to performing for them again and presenting a versatile program—ranging from full-length classics to new works—that highlights the Company’s depth of talent."

Press Release