This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Vera Zorina in "The Goldwyn Follies", 1938. Clip

I love this. I've seen it before, but for some reason don't seem to remember that it was in color.

It amazes me how well and with what variety Balanchine can tell a story through dance. Even in Hollywood.

I love how he draws our attention to the pool, starting with the solitary William Dollar sitting at the edge, running his fingers through the water. Only a few seconds into the clip , the corps of men kneel in a diagonal line. They extend their hands to the women, who accept them and perform identical supported arabesques. Balanchine then repeats the sequence on the other side of the stage. The men kneel, the women approach as before ... but, instead of accepting the support, they rush past the men to the edge of the pool. They pose, extend their arms, and look down expectantly at the water.

And what an ending: the way she rests the side of her head on the water (as on a pillow) before disappearing into the depths.

maybe this has been said, but the clip given above, w/ baryshnikov's narration is from the 'ballet' segment of THAT'S DANCING.

That's dancing [videorecording] / Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer ; written and directed by Jack Haley, Jr. ; produced by David Niven, Jr. and Jack Haley, Jr. Culver City, Calif. : MGM/UA Home Video, 1991, c1985. (105 min.) : sd., col. Note

Narrated by Gene Kelly. Special appearances by Mikhail Baryshnikov, Ray Bolger, Sammy Davis, Jr., Gene Kelly, Liza Minnelli. Original music by Henry Mancini.

Original music, Henry Mancini ; executive producer, Gene Kelly.

History of dance in the movies as seen in MGM productions. Includes footage from So this is Paris, 42nd Street, Golddiggers, Dames, Roberta, Gay divorcee, Little colonel, Broadway melody, Honolulu, Down Argentine way, The wizard of Oz, The red shoes, Carousel, Royal wedding, Singing in the rain, Three little words, Invitation to the dance, It's always fair weather, Yankee doodle dandy, Kiss me Kate, Oklahoma, Sweet Charity, Silk stockings, West side story, Saturday night fever, Fame, and Flashdance. Also includes archival footage of Annabelle, Isadora Duncan, Anna Pavlova in The dumb girl of Portici, Vera Zorina in On your toes, and Tamara Toumanova.