This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Choreography in Rossini's Cenerentola

This afternoon is the final HD/Live transmission from the Metropolitan Opera: Rossini's La Cenerentola.

I notice that the choreography is credited to Daniela Schiavone, a name I don't (but undoubtebly should) know.

I've seen several productions of this opera over the years, including my favorite Cenerentola: Frederica von Stade. But I seem to have lost all memory of dancing other than in the ballroom scene. A bit of research turned up the information that Ninette de Valois did the choreography for a 1934 production at Covent Garden, with Alicia Markova and Robert Helpmann leading the corps. That casting suggests that there were was significant solo work. Does this version remain in rep anywhere?

I'll be at the Met telecast performance today, but has anyone else seen it -- or is planning to see it? Any thoughts about the choreographic element and the role of dancers?

I hope people see this and comment. I was on a plane when this was shown on the West Coast today (starts mid-morning here), and I'm going to be on another plane during the US re-broadcast and unable to be in Canada for the Canadian one :crying:

I love Lawrence Brownlee -- he's one of my favorite singers on stage today -- and I would have loved to hear Elina Garanca. I was hoping when these started that they'd release a lot more DVD's than they have, and the best stuff, maybe apart from the "Eugene Onegin", is still in the vault. I'm not counting on a release of this one.

Helene, it was delightful. And memorable, because Rossini comic operas that are brilliantly sung and actually funny are not all that easy to find.

Garanca is a real star; she will return to the Met next season as Nicklausse in Contes d'Hoffmann. Lawrence Brownlee came into his own in the second Act: an amazing voice. I also loved Simone Alberghini's Dandini and Alessandro Corbelli's Don Magnifico.

And the choreography? Did I experience a brief popcorn blackout or something? I realize that there is no traditional ballroom scene in the opera, but in this performance there was no dancing of any sort. I can't imagine why a choreographer was credited or what Diana Schiavone was actually in charge of.

Perhaps they'll do a second showing in major marketsm even if they don't issue a dvd? They've done that in the past.