This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Retiring Goh to Dance Opening Night of "Giselle"

Did anybody attend these performances? I saw Goh's final Giselle on Sunday. She gave a really memorable performance - such soft jumps and lovely port de bras.

She has always been sublime in Act II but this time I was really struck by her acting and attention to details in Act I. Her mad scene, especially, was quite chilling. The curtain calls on Sunday were long and emotional... There were a few people who brought flowers but 2 bouquets did not make it over the orchestra pit and instead, fell in! After the bows, several of her partners (Rex Harrington, Aleksandar Antonijevic...) and other principal dancers (Greta Hodgkinson, Sonia Rodriguez) presented her with flowers, followed by Karen Kain. At the end, her parents came on stage and then her husband, Che Chun, and her 3 year old son Aveary joined them. A cascade of red balloons showered the stage and Chan took a bow with her son, who started playing with the balloons! She will be missed.

I've watched her over the past 12 years and will remember her in many roles -- Mozartiana, Les Sylphides, Tatiana, Juliet, Aurora, Diamonds, Terpsichore, Desir, Madame Butterfly... I also had the chance to meet her on a number of occasions. As a young student, I would get her autograph during intermissions and I also took a master class from her. I can say she is as gracious off-stage as she is on-stage. I wish her all the best in her future endeavours, with her pointe shoe company, teaching at the Goh Academy, and beyond.