This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Firebird/Tetley/Royal Danish Ballet/1982

here are the credits from the NYPL:

Firebird : 1982. 55 min.

Notes :Produced by Danmarks Radio in association with RM Arts. Distributed as a videotape by Home Vision, a Films Incorporated Company. Producer/director: Thomas Grimm.

:Choreography: Glen Tetley. Choreographic assistant: Scott Douglas. Music: Igor Stravinsky. Scenery/costumes: John F. MacFarlane. Lighting: Ole Mogensen and Kurt Tage Jensen.

:Danced by members of the Royal Danish Ballet: Mette Honningen (Firebird), Torben Jeppesen (Lover), Lars Damsgaard (Keeper of the garden), and others

I've borrowed the video of this production from my library, and while not great, it is interesting. The story is very different from traditional telling: the firebird is locked up in a garden and becomes more human with each pas de deux she dances with her lover. The choreography here uses both ballet and modern steps, and includes some sensuous dancing. For nearly the whole ballet the ballerina wears a skin-tight unitard, as do most of the men. The video quality is good, but the sound is too soft at times, requiring the volume to be put up. The highlight of this performance are Honningen and Jeppesen in the lead roles.

In the end this is not high on my list of ballets I've seen on video/DVD.

I've borrowed the video of this production from my library, and while not great, it is interesting. The story is very different from traditional telling: the firebird is locked up in a garden and becomes more human with each pas de deux she dances with her lover. The choreography here uses both ballet and modern steps, and includes some sensuous dancing. For nearly the whole ballet the ballerina wears a skin-tight unitard, as do most of the men. The video quality is good, but the sound is too soft at times, requiring the volume to be put up. The highlight of this performance are Honningen and Jeppesen in the lead roles.

In the end this is not high on my list of ballets I've seen on video/DVD.

Thank you, Rosa, for your post. I have been thinking of putting it on my wish list.

Does anyone know if Henning Kronstam was involved with the filming of this particular production?

Kronstam was the Artistic Director of the company then, but I don't think he was actively involved in the filming. If so, he never mentioned it. Tetley staged a triple bill and brought in his own assistants to stage the work and rehearse the dancers.