This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Debussy's 'Petite Suite'

I am playing this as a piano duet at the moment. It is such beautiful, lush music and I wondered if any ballet had ever been made to it (the last movement is even called 'Ballet'!).

Does anyone else think it would make a good ballet score (why/why not)? What sort of ballet could you envisage going with it?

Scherzo,

I don't know of any professional ballets made to this music, but with my limited knowledge agree with you that it is a fantastic ballet score. When I was studying ballet myself (in high school :jawdrop: ) my teacher made a ballet that combined parts of "Petite Suite" and Prokofiev's "Stoneflower Suite" -- go figure. I constantly bore and annoy my children (dancers far more advanced than I ever got to be) with tales of what it was like to dance to that music.

When I was studying ballet myself (in high school :thanks: ) my teacher made a ballet that combined parts of "Petite Suite" and Prokofiev's "Stoneflower Suite" -- go figure.

Imaginative teacher!

Does anyone think that Balanchine could have made anything of the 'Petite Suite', or is it a bit too frivolous?