This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Bolshoi Ballet Performance of Ravel's Bolero

We received an email today addressed to our "Contact Us" link, concerning a Bolshoi Ballet performance of Ravel's Bolero, with an inquiry about whether this is available on DVD or VHS:

Back in 1970-71 there was few ballet movies played in theatres in Lebanon performed by Bolshoi Ballet. One of those was Moris Ravel's "Bolero" which until this day I remember and admire. I did try through friends from Armenian to see if I can get that performance on DVD or VHS but so far I had no luck.

I know there is a 1977 performance of Bejart's Bolero that Maya Plisetskaya recorded, but not only was that later in the 70's, but it was with Le Ballet du XXe siecle.

Does anyone know of another production and/or recording the Bolshoi may have made of Ravel's Bolero?

the film in question would seem to be BOLSHOI '67 - still available i believe - often on a DVD, combined with BLACK TIGHTS. (one release even includes a short extra that offers lichine and gollner? in a Faun-redux called SPRING NIGHT.

credits for BOLSHOI '67 as follows:

Bolshoi Ballet c1966. 90 min. : sd. color

A Mosfilm production made in 1964. English version presented in the U.S. in 1966 by Paramount Pictures under title: Bolshoi Ballet '67. Distributed by Kultur, Inc. Directed by Leonid Lavrovsky and Alexander Shelenkov. Choreography: Leonid Lavrovsky.

SUMMARY: A behind-the-scenes look at the classroom training of the Bolshoi Theater Ballet School and rehearsals of the Bolshoi Ballet solo artists and corps de ballet.

Includes solo excerpts from Giselle, Act I (N. Sorokina), Laurencia (N. Timofeeva), Don Quixote (M. Samokhvalova), and The dying swan (Alla Osipenko).

Lengthier ballet segments include Ravel's Valses nobles et sentimentales (with N. Bessmertnova and M. Lavrovsky), Paganini (with Yaroslav Sekh, and Ekaterina Maximova), Ravel's Bolero (with Elena Kholina and Alexander Lavreniuk), and Stone flower (with Raissa Struchkova, Y. Grigoriev, V. Levashev, N. Kasatkina, and A. Simachev)