This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Questions about DVDs of Étoiles pour l’exemple

Hi, everyone~ Recently I’ve found that there are several DVDs of Étoiles pour l’exemple. Is it a kind of documentary? I think that two of them are called Markova la légende - Serge Peretti le dernier italien and Yvette Chauvire pour l'exemple - Nina Vyroubova. Have anyone ever heard of these DVDs? Are they released recently? I’d like to know more about them… I can’t find them from Amazon.com…

Also, is Étoiles pour l’exemple a collection of several DVDs?

Sorry for so many questions... I’ll be appreciative of your help! :blush:

these titles refer to a series of documentary films made in france, in french, by dominique delouche. they have not, to the best of knowledge, been available commercially in the US. i think they were released, perhaps by delouche himself, in france on a seemingly limited basis as PAL video cassettes . if they are now on dvd and available widely that would be a welcome change. the films are well made and document the careers of the dancers named and then proceed, via historic footage when available, to be coaching sessions of younger dancers with the well-known dancers in charge of demonstrating and instructing.

in NYC the alliance francaise/french institute has shown these as films on occasion. i specifically recall the chauvire, vyroubova, and peretti films. they were all most instructive. (i know of the markova but don't know that it was shown in NYC.)

i know delouche also made at least two similar documentaries on russian dancers; one on vasiliev and maximova called: KATYA ET VOLODIA, and one on plisetskaya, the title of which escapes me now - i don't recall this last as having been shown in NYC.

i think delouche's most recent might be VIOLETTE ET MR B - documentary about violette verdy.

no doubt French readers of this site will be able to add more details to this discussion.