This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Veronika Ivanova

Solor

I was wondering......I have many films of the Kirov dancing. These films, many of them from the 80s, have lots of great dancers in them, some of them still in the company. But when I visited the Kirov web page, I noticed that a few of these dancers, like Veronika Ivanova, are but mere soloists after being in the company for so long and being such great dancers! I have seen her in films and books from the 80s to know and she isnt of premiere rank? What is the deal?

Just a few thoughts...

I do enjoy watching Ivanova a lot, and she stands out to me. However, think about the Kirov: how many great dancers do they have? Maaaany! And, as much as I hate to say this, you can't make every good dancer a principal.

Another reason why Ivanova might not be a principal: not all dancers are suited to the most widely performed roles out there; ie not all dancers are nearly "universal." So, the more universal dancers will get more roles to perform, and are more likely to be principals (though, of course, that isn't the only qualification for being a principal).

Also, you wonder how can a dancer be in a company for so many years and not be a principal. Have you seen 'Children of Theatre Street'? Elena Vorontsova, who was the top dancer of her class has danced corps de ballet and soloist roles (on video -- perhaps she has danced lead roles too?). However, she was not a principal, despite being the company for 20 years.

Edited by mohnurka

Vorontsova was a great corps member. As far as know, she didn't advance

to Principal. She danced a technically perfect Prologue second fairy in the Sleeping Beauty DVD (Kolpakova/Berezhnoi). She's also seen as one of the cygnets in 'Backstage at the Kirov.' Others who were excellent corps members were, Tamara Mirzhoyan, Natalya Pavlova and for the short time she was in the corps, Lezhnina. I wonder, with new preferences at the Maryinsky if they would accept them today.

In another tape, (I can't remember if its 'Leningrad Legend' or 'Backstage at the Kirov,' Ivanova is shown as a 6th year student with Dudinskaya her teacher. Ivanova was very shy and quiet. She seemed embarrased to be singled out by her teacher for the segment. Dudinskaya was very patient with her, never

raising her voice, always encouraging her to try again. That was very nice.

A bit of a side note, but... Vorontsova is a corps member on many videos :D. You can see her next to Lezhnina in 'The Stone Flower.'

Ivanova is shown as a student on 'Backstage at the Kirov.' And while Dudinskaya seemed to be encouraging, she wasn't quite pleased (if you don't know Russian, Dudinskaya was asking Ivanova to explain what exactly she did (not show, but explain)).

Ivanova is in rehearsal in 'Leningrad Legend,' for the 3rd shade variation (as done by the Kirov) of Bayadere. Kolpakova was not pleased!