This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Pharaoh's Daughter at the Met

The role of a rebellious slave Spartacus would hardly suit him. He said more than once that he would have loved to dance Crassus but did not want to compete with the role created by the late Maris Liepa. He even asked Grigorovich to change the role slightly to suite his own personality. May be we will be lucky to see it one day.

That's funny, after the Bolshoi's visit to NY I was thinking that I'd love to see him as Crassus (with Marcelo Gomes as Spartacus for some dream casting)

Meanwhile I'm looking forward to seeing him in the Four Kings program in NY in February. The website doesn't say who will dance in Jeune Homme, but I think he'd be very interesting in it. Does anyone know if he has performed this role previously?

Thanks, coda, for the info re. Tsiskaridze's roles. Do many ballet companies allow their dancers this much freedom with regard to which roles they want to dance and which they don't? Certainly I know no dancers in our local companies who would dare do that! Won't you tell us a bit more about your week at the Bolshoi? Also, I've been waiting eagerly for reports about "Le Deux Blue" and would love to hear your comments about it.

Yes, Nysusan, Tsiskaridze performed in "Le Jeune Homme et la Mort" at a Roland Petit Festival in Japan over two years ago. The NY Center website shows now that this ballet will cast Vishneva with one of “Four Kings”, my guess - with someone else. :rofl:

Regarding the Ostrich’s question: “Do many ballet companies allow their dancers this much freedom with regard to which roles they want to dance and which they don't? Certainly I know no dancers in our local companies who would dare do that!”

In theory, if an artist can not grasp some particular role, it would be only honest of him to turn it down. In real life, many dancers will be happy to dance anything regardless of their suitability for those roles. I think this subject has been discussed in the past (may be here or may be on another forum) with respect to Lopatkina explaining in her interview why she will not dance Aurora and some other roles.

I agree with her because, in my opinion, freedom of artistic choice is very important. I personally dislike short-necked Odettes and similar miscasts.

Tsiskaridze, with his very special, striking appearance, is also very selective. For example, he loved the role of Mercutio and danced it in two productions of “ R & J”, by Lavrovsky and by Grigorovich. However, the role of Romeo never appealed to him.

Dear Ostrich, I promised to write about “Le Dieu blue” somewhere else.

I think it is wonderful for dancers to be allowed artistic freedom of choice. I suppose that a large part of the reason why this is not possible for many companies, however, is that they simply don't have enough dancers to allow the principals to be "picky".

I quite agree that Spartacuse would not suit Tsiskaridze, though why he feels unsuited to Romeo I am at a loss to imagine.

However, I've wandered badly off-topic here, and to come back, I'd like to know what I forgot to ask earlier: did Tsiskaridze partner Lunkina in Pharao's Daughter? If not, who was she partnered by?