This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I think Drigo's additions to the score shouldn't be allowed. You can always tell when Drigo has changed the score in some way because it doesn't sound like the rest of the score. Recently, I found out that the White Swan PDD was changed by Drigo. At the end of it, it is quite obvious to the ear that it isn't Tchaikovsky.

I also have another question. My story may not be correct but this is what I can gather from all the information that has been provided for me. After the failure premiere, Tchaikovsky was told to add things in (like the Russian Dance). Originally, the Black Swan PDD was at the start of the ballet and had nothing to do with the Black Swan at all. Tchaikovsky was told to add a Pas de Deux for the Black Swan in the third act (which is Appendix II for anyone with the score) but the project was scrapped without Tchaikovsky even orchestrating it (only the second variation was orchestrated, the rest was in piano score) and the pas de deux from the first act was put in its place. Then one day someone (maybe Drigo?) orchestrated the rest of this pas de deux and it was put into the first act in place of the Black Swan Pas de Deux being taken out. Later this was removed. Does any production still have that pas de deux at the start (usually after the pas de trois). In the score and in most recordings, it is after the Pas de Six in the third act as Appendix II if you're wondering what the music is. So does any production still use that pas de deux?

Various versions have used bits and pieces of it. Of course, Balanchine choreographed the music as a divertissement to itself, called "Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux". I believe the orchestration used at the premiere of this work was by Peter March of the Tchaikovsky Foundation.

nureyev's production of SWAN LAKE for vienna state ballet - on tape (& dvd) includes the now-called 'tchaikovisky pas de deux' in his choreog. for siegfried & odile in his ballroom scene.

if mem. serves vladimir bourmeister's SWAN LAKE uses much of 1877 score order & numbers, including the 'tchaik pdd' and even perhaps the transposed pas in its 'original' place in act 1. there was a paris op. ballet perf. of bourmeister on tape but i think it's no longer available, i suspect. this perf. is led by dupond and pontois?

The pas de deux, known as "Tchaikovsky pas de deux" was originally composed for a ballerina named Anna Sobeshanskaya. She did not like the choreographer of the first 1877 production of "Swan Lake" nor did she care much for Tchaikovskys score. So, she travled from Moscow to St Petersburg so that the choreographer Petipa could fashion a new pas de deux for her to the music of Minkus. When Tchaikovsky heard of this he objected to the interpolation of another composers music. So he agreed to compose a new pas for Sobeshanskaya. But it left the problem of the choreography having to be changed, and Sobeshanskaya did not want to go to Petipa a 2nd time. So Tchaikovsky wrote composed a pas that would bar for bar and note for note match the music of Minkus. It is said that the male variation of this pas was left un-touched by Tchaikovsky, and it carries the signature sound of a 19th century 3/4 male variation (main melody, central melody, back to main melody). If one listens to it, it certainly appears so. I have read in a few places that the "Tchaikovsky pas de deux" is actually Minkus's music with Tchaikovsky's orchestrations.

As for the 1895 revival of "Swan Lake" at the Imperial Ballet, the music was revised by Riccardo Drigo in a way as if Petipa had given Tchaikovsky instructions. Not known to many, there were plans to have Tchaikovsky refurbish the "Swan Lake" score, but unfortunatly he died before it could be.

Drigo only did a few things to the score as far as BIG changes are concerned (I mean additions of music and/or revisions of endings to certain numbers). Aside from editing and, for example, changing a numbers from, say, 'allegro vivance' to 'moderato' (the first variation in the 1st act pas de trois) he did the following (and keep in mind, all at the behest of Ivanov and Petipa):

**the order of the Dances of the Swans was changed from -

swans waltz, odettes variation, the little swans, the big swans, pas d'action (or white adagio), swans waltz reprise (cut in 1895), and the coda. The new order, following the formula of a grand pas d'action, went as so - swans waltz, "white" adagio, the litle swans, the big swans, odettes variation, coda.

**he revised the ending of the 'white' adagio in the 2nd act from the original allegro ending. Also, he extended the harp arpeggios that were originally composed. It is so very beautiful!

**he revised the coda and extended it by having it repeat before the end.

**the entrance of Odille was now followed by the grand Divertessment. The Spanish Dance now came first to permit a smooth transition of music.

**he transfered the pas de deux from the 1st act to the 3rd (after the grabd divertessment), making it the famous "Black Swan" pas de deux. He revised the ending from the original allegro to a new closing (as with the 2nd act adagio). NOTE: the variation for Siegfried was fashioned out of the omitted allegro. This did not happen for the 1st production. It was inserted into the pas by Vakhtang Chabukiani - the exact date though I do not know for certain.

**Drigo then fashioned a variation for Odille to a piece from Tchaikovsky's opus 72 for piano - "L'espiegle op.72/no.12".........orchestrated very well I might add! Very colorful and rich arrangements - especially when heard live or on CD.

**for the last act, Drigo's next interpolation came again from Tchaikovsky's opus 72 for piano - in this case it was "Valse Bluette op.72/no.11". This was added as a waltz for the Swans, and replaced the number originally composed. Drigo's orchestrations for this piece are magical and brilliant - a joy to hear live or on CD.

**and the last insertion was for a short pas d'action for the two lovers, again from opus 72 - "Un Poco di Chopin op.72/no.15". of all the additions, this is the one I always felt couls have been done without, not that it is not a well arranged number - again, Drigo does a fine job orchestrating.

The performance score of "Swan Lake", as revised by Riccardo Drigo in 1895 for the "re-premiere" is quite a wonderful piece of work, and it makes theatrical sense. I personally do not feel that this version is better or worse than the original, it is just different. I have both the original score of 1877 and the revised score of Drigo of 1895. The 1895 version has only been recorded once, and is a rare and hard to get piece of work. If you would like to read more about this version, pick up a very wonderful and insightful book called "Tchaikovskys Ballets" by Roland Wiley (It is out of print, but still be purchased used online). It give very in depth detail all three of his works.

If you would like to read my Amazon.com review of the recording of the 1895 version of "Swan Lake" by Petipa, Ivanov, and Drigo (Mariinsky Orchestra, conducted by Fedotov) clcik the link at the bottom. Mine is the review 3rd one down from the top (Im Adam) and the best one!

Heres the link -

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00...3500670-0757417