This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Greskovic's ballet books

I'm sorry if this is a silly question but I have a hard time figuring out the difference between Greskovic's two big ballet books: "Ballet 101" and "Ballet. A Complete Guide". When I got "Ballet 101", I was disappointed it was available only in paperback which was strange but in a way understandable considering the target audience. Now I see this other book, apparently published in 2000, in hardcover and I wonder if its contents overlap with Ballet 101's or if it's a completely different book. Both books are called - one way or another - "A Complete Guide" (To Learning and Loving the Ballet - adds "Ballet 101"), both have a preface by Baryshnikov. Both seem to have more or less the same number of pages.

Does anybody have BOTH books and could tell me if "Ballet. A Complete Guide" is simply a hardbound version of "Ballet 101"? I would like to replace my "Ballet 101", which is falling apart, with a hardcover edition.

Thanks a lot!

Iza

Edited by Ariodante

my book was published in the US by Hyperion only softcover - it's part of that publisher's series: OPERA 101, which began the series, and then followed after BALLET 101 by JAZZ 101 & CLASSICAL MUSIC 101.

when Robert Hale in the UK decided to publish the same work, it chose to do the book in hard cover: the texts are essentially identical, w/ a few more corrections in the latter and the usual british spelling variants.

still, it is the same book. (the title needed changing because the sense of "101" has none of the meanings attached to it here in the US, thus the different names.)

here in the US it's about to go out of print w/ Hyperion, w/ hopes on my part of firming up a second US publisher for reprinting.

Thank you very much! I didn't expect an answer from the author himself! :(

This is a great occassion for me to thank you for this wonderful book which over the last months has been my best companion, not only as a guide through ballets but also as a bedside reading. I hope it will stay in print forever, hard or soft cover!

:angry2:

Iza

Ditto regarding the thanks.

This book was a constant companion in my efforts to re-educate myself about ballet after a long hiatus. The detailed descriptions of key ballets really helped me to "see" my videos in an entirely new light. And, after that, to see dancing on the stage in a much richer manner.