This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Week 8

No one went this week?

Tonight, 2/26, the house was almost full and very enthusiastic. Two wonderful duets were the highlights of the performance: Kowroski & Neal in GLASS PIECES and Wendy & Jock in SYMPHONY IN 3 MOVEMENTS. In between was Peter's unusual CHICHESTER PSALMS which I happen to like; a new boy soprano, James Danner, exhibited remarkable steadiness and beauty of tone; Dena Abergel and Henry Seth were the soloists...the piece has not alot of steps, it is more of a ritual.

One of the main reasons I went tonight was to see Bouder & Adam Hendrickson in SYMPHONY...I thought they would be an excellent pairing. But due to Sylve being out, Bouder switched to HER role and Jennifer Tinsley assumed her usual role, dancing with Hendrickson. Tinsley & Hendrickson were full of zest and seemed to be having a great time together. Jared Angle was superb tonight and again got Wendy smiling when they danced together. Jock and Wendy is the pas de deux was the apex of the performance...has their partnership ever been filmed? I can't think of anything...it's certainly been one of the great NYCB partnerships of all time. Bouder danced very well but seemed a little miscast in this role, I think a more womanly & sophisticated dancer is a better choice. I still hope to see her in the bouncing opening segment sometime in the future.

Kowroski & Neal were luminous in GLASS PIECES and held the audience enthralled and they were strongly applauded. There were much fine dancing from the corps tonight and I must single out Rebecca Krohn (GLASS PIECES demi) for her remarkable clarity.

Did anyone see Sofiane Sylve and Janie Taylor in "Double Feature"? Sylve looks ravishing in the photos they posted on the NYCB web site... (under What's New - Front Row Center) I'm curious to know how she did in a more 'acting' role.

Miscast. When Maria dances the role, even though it is a comedy, there is great poignancy when she abandons her baby, and when she reappears at the end of Blue Necklace, despite her **Star** status, you know that during the intervening years, she's been haunted by the memory of the baby. I got none of this from Sofiane on her debut. She leaves the baby at the church and you think, She'll get through it. And she does. Sofiane simply lacks Maria's vulnerability.