This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

From Ballet to Modern

Does anyone know of professional ballet dancers who made the transition (successfully) to modern dance? I can think of Baryshnikov but not many others. (I am not considering Twyla Tharp because her dances are often "balletic" and not avant-garde, really away from ballet modern.) I was also wondering if anyone can speak from experience about making the transition itself (something I am looking into).

Cathy McCann was an eloquent member of Paul Taylor's company after having performed with the Eglevsky Ballet. Another member of his company, almost completely contemporary with McCann, was audience favorite (but not mine) Kate Johnson. She joined Taylor after a few seasons with Eliot Feld. Both dancers "transitioned" early in their careers, though.

Both joined White Oak after they left Taylor. So here we are -- back at Baryshnikov!

--Carley

Thank you, Treefrog, for reminding me that -- OF COURSE! Patrick Corbin! He left Joffrey at the height of his powers -- or maybe not quite yet at the height of his powers -- and has had almost a full second career with Paul Taylor!

And Sandra Brown, who recently left ABT, now dances with Complexions. Complexions is Modern, isn't it?

--Carley

Dominic Walsh left Houston Ballet after last season to become fully involved in his contemporary dance company Dominic Walsh Dance Theatre. They're doing a performance this weekend, a collaboration with Mercury Baroque Ensemble. A few of the HB dancers (including former dancers) have danced with DWDT.