This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Gregory Mitchell has died

Thanks to A Viigilant Poster for this link (from last Friday's Washington Post):

Actor Who Collapsed During Show Dies

"He was very straightforward, open, willing, and he was very earnest," Baryshnikov said yesterday. "He had a very clear understanding of what his task was in the play." The play by Rezo Gabriadze about a doctor and his patient, who thinks he is a car, was the first time Mitchell and Baryshnikov had worked together. "I remembered him from his early days with the Eliot Feld company," Baryshnikov said. "He had a bright and lively personality, very outgoing. Then I saw him occasionally on Broadway and in commercials."

Chita Rivera, the Tony Award-winning singer and dancer whose career stretches back to "West Side Story," said she rated Mitchell among the great Broadway dancers. She recalled a scene from "Merlin" in which she played the queen and Mitchell the queen's companion. "I would look to my right, and he would take five or six steps from the wing. And when he hit the stage, he was in a full arabesque. He was one of the most powerful dancers, and he really challenged me," Rivera said. "Plus I could not keep my eyes off him." They had recently done a workshop production based on her life. "He played each of the men in my life, and I have never danced with a guy like this. He is really a guy-guy."