This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Sofiane Sylve's debut in Emeralds

Sylve did "Emeralds" last night (Thursday). The review that Ari linked was from Wednesday night. And the last "Jewels" will be tomorrow afternoon with first cast again--a pity really since the setting sun--not that we've had lots of sun lately :( --is perfect for "Emeralds" and Rubies and Diamonds look gorgeous against the black night. The afternoon light just washes it out...but we're just glad to have it here at all.

I suppose we should also be grateful that the Saratogian is running Mae Banner's reviews at all, but the timing is terrible. No reviews for several days at a clip, and then they run two on the same day--and neither one is up-to-date to the last performance. Grrrr.....

So, about the performance. I missed the Ringer/Fayette/Weese et al cast on Wednesday (was in NYC trying to catch a bit of Ashton), will see it tomorrow. I was a bit disappointed in Sylve's first go at "Emeralds"...in fact found the whole performance (with the exception of Rachel Rutherford) to be rather flat and devoid of feeling. Jonathan Stafford is not ready for the male principal role and seemed to be nervous (not without good reason, it is daunting!). "Emeralds" is often my favorite section of "Jewels" but not last night. Sofiane seemed ponderous, and the lush backbends just didn't happen. Is she not especially flexible? I thought she was-she certainly has a huge extension. Ashley Bouder, as she has in everything she has done since her return (lucky lucky us) just devoured the stage in the pas de trois. This girl has the complete package. It's a thrill to watch her grow, seemingly by the day.

And how wonderful to see Ansanelli put so many of the little Patty McBride touches back into "Rubies". She was simply astounding, and Ben Millepied is looking wonderful here as well. Savannah Lowery has quite a way to go in developing the second ballerina role, and she will do so. The style is there, she just needs to grow. I look forward to seeing Tess Reichlen tomorrow.

With so many male principals out (Damian, Phillip, Charles, Sebastien, who else?), Steven Hanna has been thrust into the limelight and is rising to the occasion with great aplomb. He was truly regal in "Diamonds".

Yesterday afternoon Sean Suozzi made a surprise debut as Melancholic. Again lots of room to grow, but every reason to be very proud. When Peter Boal is the role model those shoes are daunting to fill. Shambards is a waste as an outdoor matinee piece, as the lighting is critical. 4Ts however, works quite nicely in the afternoon.

I don't mean to say that Sofiane was bad--not at all! More that I had very high expectations for her, because I agree that it is a perfect role for her. I've also liked her--a lot--in almost everything that I have seen her do.

I think it was her first time in the role, and that there is opportunity for growth. She will be stunning, and I am positive that she will be cast again.