This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Rough Guide to Choreography

We can only hope that this "Rough Guide" isn't like Michael Green's classic "Downwind of Upstage". Green describes how most people teach students how to become "fine actors"; his book teaches how to become a "coarse actor". (Be drooling idiot who upstages Mark Antony in the "Friends, Romans, countrymen" speech, etc.)

It sounds like one of those programs that could be great or could be dreadful -- I hope someone reports back here!

Tangentially, I appreciated the comment in the blurb that followed after, about a cooking show.

"while Oz Clarke will be getting cheerfully sloshed on various wines."

If you're going to be a drunk, it's better to be a happy one.

If you've seen the George Piper Dances stage show, or the Ballet Boyz television programmes from a few years ago , the Rough Guide will look very familiar - too much so, for someone who's seeing some of their video clips for the fourth time. They are following Trevitt and Nunn as they work towards making a piece of their own, with some fairly low-level generalities about choreography thrown in, and some unrelated stories about life in GPD - the first episode featured the night last year when Nunn pulled out of the show to attend the birth of his son, with all the dramas of last-minute substitutes going on.

I'm not sure what their target audience is - from what they say, it's people new to the idea of choreography, but I think you'd have had to concentrate very hard to learn much from this first programme - Akram Khan on improvisation and Kathak is not exacly beginners' stuff. I felt the whole concept of these films is getting a bit self-indulgent - you have to like the Boyz a lot to go along with it. But the next epsiode may be better.