This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New Member. ABT Standing Room question

Hi, this is my first post to this forum, though I have been reading and enjoying it for a while.

I am headed to NYC for the first time in many years with plans to lots of NYCB, ABT, and broadway.

From my old days in NYC, I used to get standing room at the Met all the time for ABT (and visiting companies) all the time. It used to be day of the performance at the box office. I remember the glory days when we used to queue up a 6AM for Barishnikov, Kirkland, et al performances!

I seem to recall reading on some forum that the Met standing room procedures have changed, and that all performances for the week are offered at once (Sunday morning, maybe?).

Any information about current Met standing room ticket sales procedures would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for any help, and again thanks for all the great discussions about the ballet world.

This is from the Met website. I'd call to see if the procedure is different for ABT and other ballet performances.

"Standing Room

Standing room tickets generally cost $16 for Orchestra and $12 for Family Circle for weekday performances, and $20 for Orchestra and $15 for Family Circle for Saturday performances. They go on sale at the Box Office on Saturday mornings at 10:00 am for Saturday through the following Friday performances. One ticket per person, per performance may be purchased for cash only. The line often starts much earlier than 10:00 am.

Standing room ticket prices may vary for special events. Please call Met Ticket Service at 212.362.6000 for details."

For ballet, standing room goes on sale day of performance. (I understand that some time ago, the Met put SR for opera only on sale for the whole week on Sundays, but I do not know if that policy is still effective.)

It has been my recent experience that for the great majority of perfs., SR tix are available until curtain time. Can't tell you how often I get to the box ofc. at 7:57 pm! No more pre-dawn lines for moi! :wink:

Editing to add:

The info Dale just posted on prices is inaccurate. ABT is $20 a shot Mon-Sat., mats. included, all locations. For NYCB, it is $15, also on sale day of performance. However, it might be worth your while to spend $15 for a 4th Ring Society Membership, which allows you to buy up to 2 seats per perf. for an unlimited number of perfs., exc. Nutcrackers. One membership is good for both winter and spring seasons.

Welcome back, bobjot!

Edited by carbro

Thanks for the quick replies and information!

From the good old days I recall the Orch. standing room at the Met to be a really great deal, but the State Theatre standing room (in the stratosphere) not so much.

I will look into the 4th Ring Society membership for NYCB.

Thanks again.