This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Booing at the ballet?

Oh, did I forget to mention that from my 4th Ring seats (I moved up a few rows after intermission due to incessant chatter next to me), I heard no booing whatsoever? Sorry. Was the response wildly enthusiastic (read: vulgar)? No. But it was more than merely polite.

I have "booed" a few time in the theater, but never when a performer was taking a bow.

The only time after a ballet performance was when the "Ballets de Monte-Carlo" did Jean-Christophe Maillot's reimaging of "Cinderella".

It was a barely recognizable post-post-modern jumble. I booed when Maillot was brought out to take his call.

I also booed the conductor (can't recall who it was) who led the Michigan Opera Theater orchestra right off a cliff while waving his baton during "Der Rosenkavalier". He must have gotten lost on the way to Amtrack.

Maria Callas was once pelted with vegetables after a performance at La Scala. She picked up a bunch of radishes and clasped them to her breast as though they were roses. That's the story, anyhow...

As I have heard this story Callas actually thought the radishes were roses until she picked them up. She was very nearsighted. She also said at the time that "You can't buy vegetables at the opera house," making it clear that she thought the anti-Callas claque at La Scala was escalating their boorish behavior.

La Scala can be pretty rough--Renee Fleming was almost booed off the stage there when she did "Lucretia Borgia" and cancelled all her performances after the premiere--but Parma is the absolute worst. Singers go to Parma knowing that much of the audience is waiting for them to make a mistake and scream at the singers for it.

:angry: Booing just shows bad behaviour, I think, no need to throw dead cats (yes, it has happened) or rotten eggs. Now we must think of the intentions. I do not normally walk around with rotten eggs and tomatoes in a hold-all just in order to have it handy to throw at the first performer I happen to come across which displeases me.

No, I just withhold my clapping and stay silent - people around me might clap, but I remain immobile - that is enough I think.

Yet, the poor dancers/actors/singers might have been forced into ridiculous things by financial problems - why should we boo them for being miscast?

Folks, it always pays to have manners and be polite- :rolleyes: