This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Dans2Go: Swan Lake Act 2/In Life & Love & So On

The RDB's annual 'taster' programme, Dans2Go, opens tonight: 'the white act' of last season's new production of Swan Lake together with a new piece by Tilman O'Donnell, described as 'a choreographic concert'. There's a trailer telling a bit about the new piece here

(one thing I like already is that the dancers in the new piece will have their names printed on the back of their track suit tops!)

Casting has just been announced for the first 3 performances: new to Swan Lake are Jonathan Chmelensky, dancing with J'aime Crandall tonight, and Kizzy Matiakis dancing Odette for the first time on 29/10. I saw K Matiakis as Aurora in Copenhagen a few years ago and thought that although it wasn't a particularly good match for her temperament, she showed a much greater understanding of the role than any of the others I saw - she could be a really interesting Odette.

They are using the old stage for these performances and not surprisingly they won't be showing the complicated set for Swan Lake, made for the Opera House.

I'm not going to be able to see this show so please report if you get to it!

I, too, think Matiakis is an interesting choice as Odette/Odile, with her wide range of expressions, I'm sure she will be able to establish a convincing character both as Odile and Odette (though here we will see only Odette). Technically she is very secure, I only doubt whether she will have the long, smooth lines for Odette. A pity I will not be able to attend any of the performances either!

Eva Kistrup has reviewed the Dance2Go programme in DanceViewTimes. The ironic headline of the article is "Garbo Speaks!", refering to the latest tendency in the repertoire, where the dancers speak and shout a lot:

"The modern part is presented by “Corpus”, the in-house company. Since their first season, Corpus has moved in a direction where choreography is less important than concept. Even comparing with last seasons “Fever Harbor”, with Tilman O’Donnell’s "In Life and Love and So On", they take almost the final step in a process of taking dance out of the concept dance."

In the same review she writes about the threat of more cut-downs in the already starving economy of the Royal Danish Theatre, which are near-fatal to the ballet.

The full article can be found here: "Garbo Speaks!"

Although I have come to realise that I seem to disagree with Kistrup in most regards, I was very interested in her accounts of the RDB's current financial situation. It is indeed a big, big waste that our politicians don't fully recognise the importance of upholding the quality of our cultural institutions, especially one as old and renowned as the Royal.

Also, had I had the opportunity to go see Matiakis as Odette, I would certainly have paid for my trip to Copenhagen in a heart beat, but the only two dates available to me are both with Praetorius and I've already seen her once without being greatly impressed. Rather wait a few years until she's fully ready and gets the opportunity to dance the whole thing again.

The comments I've seen so far have been really split - 4* in one paper, only 2* in another, strong feelings both for and against on the theatre's Facebook page.

One critic also complains how little the company is dancing in the opening months of the season, and certainly it's the first time in 10 years that I haven't been over to Copenhagen before Christmas: it's a strangely planned season anyway, with all the full-length pieces in the later months, but I guess it's the financial problems which are largely to blame.

Yes, I have been wondering about the many full-length ballets during spring, too. Maybe it was wrong of me, but I sort of assumed it was because Lendorf was engaged with ABT this fall (although I heard he was injured, unfortunately) and Hübbe was hoping to have him dance as many of the "meaty" roles as possible...

That ballet is my eternal treasure. It's definitely become my favourite Swan Lake that I've seen and the only one I can be bothered to watch from start till finish on recording. I very much hope the Cubus cooperation means we're getting a DVD eventually as was the case with Napoli.

I was pleasantly surprised by Lendorf as Siegfried. I've seen very few roles where he truly engages me. Odette/Odile cemented Crandall as a favourite of mine. Fransson as Rothbart was a true masterpiece and all the princess dances in the second act are to die for. All in all, everyone is amazingly well cast and performs their best. This is a recording that the RDB can be proud is available. It showcases all the company's greatest assets.

Thank you Syrene. I found it visually stunning and it would make a great blu-ray DVD. I am still digesting the content and considering the match of dance to music which I did not find convincing on my first viewing. I thought the overall mood of this production was somewhat at odds with the mood that the music dictates...but that is just my initial opinion on first viewing. I will be watching it again!