This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

JEWELS 2/14/ matinee

I cannot understand people saying EMERALDS is dull...unless you find beauty to be boring. The music and choreography are perfectly meshed. Rachel Rutherford was radiantly lyrical, and looked great partnered by Tewsley in his welcome return to the stage (well, actually his second performance). van Kipnis was beautiful too, esp. her arms, with Fayette (short haircut) an ardent cavalier. Edge & Riggins shone in the Pas de Trois; I was less taken with Carmena.

Weese & Hubbe were brilliant in RUBIES but the corps didn't sparkle and Savannah Lowery failed to make an impression as the pencee girl.

The corps were outstanding in DIAMONDS though maybe slightly hampered by the set. Kowroski does bring an "Odette feeling" to this ballet; she was on very impressive form with many thrilling passages and one uncanny sustained balance. I don't think I have ever seen Philip Neal dance so well as he did today...he was in complete command as a partner and the bravura moments came off with real flair. They brought the afternoon to a grand climax and were well-applauded.

A sold-out house...again.

It was a beautiful performance. Rutherford's dancing has been brought to a new level over the last few days, I hope it continues. Tewsley partnered well but I was less impressed by his solo.

I enjoyed Lowery, found her seductive and witty. Weese was fantastic, it looked like a different ballet than the one Bouree danced - so much detail.

I also thought Neal looked terrific. Kowrowski is very different than Farrell in this role. Farrell was a queen or a princess, Kowrowski is like some magical creature. She's not always in control of her limbs or her effects but on a good day like today, she brings a kind of fantasy to the stage that is irrestible.

'Emeralds' wasn't dull for me--it was just too bland. My criticism is not with the ballet, which is my favorite part of 'Jewels'--what was needed was a first rate ballerina performance; those long solos need more than good technique. I admired Antonio Carmena in the pas de trois, he was the most engaged male on the stage. Weese was first rate in 'Rubies', although as of late, Hubbe has seemed a bit lumbering to me. Savannah Lowery brings Gloria Govrin to mind--I tend to concentrate on their proportions, rather than their performance, and it can be disconcerting. Kowroski was fine in 'Diamonds'--she's not Farrell, nor should she try to be. What I would like to see in her performance is a greater calmness and serenity---at times she appeared to be the troubled Swan.

Tewsley might have been dancing cautiously...considering his injuries since he joined NYCB, you can't blame him for that. As time goes by we should see him cast off his reserve...hopefully. Still, the duet with Rutherford showed what an appealing dancer he is.