This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Perfect Performer

Perfect Performer

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 June 2001 - 10:55 PM

Did anybody read "Balanchines New Complete Stories of the Great Ballets? I Tried too, but I only made it to page 74, It was really hard to read, Because it was so big!

Did you like it?

#2 Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,287 posts

Posted 25 June 2001 - 12:31 AM

It's one of the books I read when I first discovered ballet, and I did like it, but it may be hard to read all at one sitting -- especially the ballets you haven't seen. Why not try to pick a few ballets that interest you, and read those parts, instead of trying to take it all in at once?

#3 Steve Keeley

Steve Keeley

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 25 June 2001 - 12:35 AM

I've owned a copy of "101 Stories of the Great Ballets," the 1975 update, for several years but I've never read it cover-to-cover. I refer to parts of it quite often, however. There are sections that I've looked over many times and many I've never even glanced at.

Consider it a reference book, like a dictionary or enyclopedia, where you look something up as needed.

#4 stan

• PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 June 2001 - 07:19 AM

I agree, it's a spectacular reference book but with some odd omissions. For example, why does he not refer to his Sylvia pas de deux which we have talked about elsewhere? Luckily, I also have Nancy Reynolds' Repertory in Review which is another great reference book. If you want something to read cover to cover, I suggest Arlene Croce's collected New Yorker pieces which have just been republished as "Writing in the Dark, Dancing in the New Yorker."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):