This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

RIP Willa Kim

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/28/theater/willa-kim-dead-tony-winning-costume-designer.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Farts&action=click&contentCollection=arts&region=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=7&pgtype=sectionfront&_r=0

Willa Kim, designer of costumes for Broadway and dance, has died.  She designed the costumes for ABT's prior SB production.  Scroll down the article to see a photo of Vishneva and Hallberg in Kim's costumes during their only performance together in SB.

Damn -- 2016 is taking it to the wire.

I don't know enough about her working style to have a sense of this, but I was struck by this comment.

"Ms. Kim voiced only one regret. Given the chance to do it all over again, she said in 2009,'You know, I would be kinder.'”

I was so very sorry to hear of Willa's passing.  I had the privilege to wear costumes designed by her ( Michael Smuin's "TheTempest" and his "Shinju", to name a couple ballets) when I danced with San Francisco Ballet in the seventies and eighties.  Her costumes were designed with the movement of the dancer in mind as well as just being amazingly beautiful!  She shall be missed!