This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Kirov Sleeping Beauty, 2/15 (Wash, DC)

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 doug

doug

Bronze Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 17 February 2002 - 06:55 PM

Sorry, hi, yes, I'm here. My understanding is that Carabosse was performed by a double in Act III when Cecchetti danced Blue Bird. Also, Giannandrea Poesio, Cecchetti scholar, has told me that Cecchetti only dance Blue Bird a couple of times.

I saw the Kirov's BEAUTY in New York and London. The King performed his mime scene before the Rose Adagio during a very extended harp cadenza.

Glad there are so many comments on this great ballet. I'm happy to read them and wish I could see it again. On another note, the Kirov's 'new' BAYADERE will be very interesting. The notations (which were made based on the December 1900 revival) are of a completely different sort than BEAUTY and there are far fewer comparative sources to draw from. Can't wait to see it at some point once it premieres.

#17 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,428 posts

Posted 17 February 2002 - 08:16 PM

I really cannot get into Svetlana Zakharova's Aurora. Zero warmth & radiance. Opposite of the cuddly-adorable Vishneva or Fonteyn.

We were treated once again, on Friday, to Groucho...er....Kolb as Prince Desire.

Washington is luckier than London, where the Red Riding Hood & Tom Thumb-and-Friends were routinely omitted. I was *sure* they'd do the same here due to unions, etc., but, no, we were pleasantly surprised with as complete a Beauty as is possible on a tour. Only the Panorama was omitted.

Folks - the mine passage with the Princes before the Rose Adagio has been excised in St Petes, too. Vikharev has stated that this is a 'work in progress' with constant 'peeling away' of layers...going further back in time, with the aim of arriving at 1890 one day. The 1999 production seen at the Met was approximately 1909/10. Notes discovered since have caused certain passages of mime to be further revised'back in time." I guess that Vikharev discovered that the little mime with the princes before the Rose Adagio did not exist in 1890. Quite a bit was added in 1914 &, later, in 1920s revisions by Lopukhov in Russia & N. Sergeyev/Diaghilev troupe.

#18 NO7

NO7

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 February 2002 - 10:12 PM

Juliet, it seems you're really disappointed that Prince Desire wasn't Korsuntsev wink.gif I, too, missed Kolb's arrival on the stage when I first saw his Desire biggrin.gif But to be fair, as far as I've experienced, Kolb was more princely and 'noble' in other roles, say, Siegfried,Chopiniana,etc.
At least in London, he is very much admired and appreciated for his artistic merits. Hardly anyone complained about his looks, stage presence, or anything like that. I'm sure it's a matter of taste here again. In his Swan Lake last June, Kolb recieved quite a warm-welcoming applause in Act I, while, to my surprise, Odette (danced by Zakharova) appeared on the stage in front of silent audience. How weird! I guess good/bad stage presence sometimes depends on space and time. So, please, gentler criticism on the dancer's physical appearance would be highly appreciated smile.gif

[ February 18, 2002: Message edited by: NO7 ]

#19 Juliet

Juliet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 18 February 2002 - 09:35 AM

NO7, I was being fairly kind about his physical appearance. People cannot help how they look. They can help what they do with their stage makeup and how they comport themselves onstage in a professional performance of this calibre. I have seen him in othr roles, and in television snippets from this production (partnering Ayupova) and he was quite nice. I have no complaint about his dancing at all, and I apologise if I gave that impression.

#20 NO7

NO7

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 18 February 2002 - 10:21 PM

Juliet, thank you very much for your kind response, and apology accepted! smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):