This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Where Should Dance Go ?

Not necessarily looking at where 'dance should go,' but at an example of what it can do, I found this interesting and, for me, very successful work.

Almost two years ago at the Mariinsky topic I wrote about having seen a Picasso/Calder sculpture exhibition after having attended the Mariinsky Festival. I tried to compare the two, the invention of the exhibit and the refined beauty of the Mariinsky.

At the recent Lausanne dance competition, seen on video, I found this new choreographer work. It was created by Pablo Polo of the School of Hamburg Ballet John-Neumeirer. For me, it's very interesting in its abstract construction and in how it echoes and explores abstract artistry (even relating to the painting in the background). Not only, for me, is it successful in its artistic interest but also in how well it works as a dance, as a finely constructed continuity and variety of beautiful motion. 

It can be seen at 2:00:30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHTuGeRkxGg&feature=emb_logo

Edited by Buddy

Why have Dance at all ?

This is one of the best reasons that I've come across. From the choreographer, John Taras, who said that his job was

* To Make Dancers Look Like Gods And Goddesses *

I'm a lover of 'adagio,' the slow and graceful, both in music, from Rock to Mozart, and in dance, as in the ballet duet. The essence of this is something that I would call

The Lyrical Flow 

"Lyrical" 

The term "Lyrical Dance" has some very specific definitions and descriptions. 

My use of the word Lyrical is....

"Lyrical: having a pleasantly flowing quality suggestive of music."  Merriam-Webster

Lyrical and Lyric being the same.

"....a true lyric dancer. there were no gaps in her movement."  Twyla Tharp

Do I think that this is where dance should go ?  I did when I started this topic, but dance will go where it wants to and encompasses infinite possibilities. Still, "Lyrical" dancing is something that I love and would want to see as much of as possible. Nature's beauty often seems rooted in this and nature is much of what we are. This is perhaps a major reason for its effect on me.