• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#31 Kathleen O'Connell

Kathleen O'Connell

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 01:41 PM

Buddy - Have you seen the documentary Planet B-Boy? If not, and if you're interested in some hip-hop dance lore, you should check it out. You can watch it on YouTube here. Different style from JabbaWokeeZ, but totally dedicated to their art. 

#32 Kathleen O'Connell

Kathleen O'Connell

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 02:27 PM

For something a little more celestial than Bon Odori, we can look to the renowned onnagata, Tamasaburo Bando. (Onnagata are Kabuki actors who specialize in female roles. When women were banned from the Kabuki stage in the 17th century, men eventually took on their roles.) Kabuki is very stylized, but it started as a popular form of dance-drama -- i.e., it's not a court style, like Bugaku.

Tamasaburo is in his mid-sixties, and has pretty much retired from the Kabuki stage. He is now the AD of Kodo. I was lucky enough to get to see him perform when the Grand Kabuki came to NY in the early 80's. He was bigger than a rock star. 

These videos show him in one of his most famous roles, the Heron Maiden. Quick synopsis: a mysterious beauty shows up on the banks of a winter lake. She is really a heron. The narrator will fill you in on the rest. This particular dance is famous for the character's sudden transformations through on-stage costume changes and the skill required to portray the various stages of womanhood, and eventually, creature-hood. At some point, be sure to check out this interview of Tamasaburo in which he explains his art.

Part 1 https://www.youtube....h?v=4q1MPwD7zCI

Part 2 https://www.youtube....h?v=kP4TdEMrNuo

Part 3 https://www.youtube....h?v=Q6O7KFCCEdU

PS: The end of Part 2 overlaps with the beginning of Part 3 -- you get to see the big costume change twice ...

#33 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 02:41 PM

HA! I'll raise you with Japanese dance done to Dave Brubeck's Take Five.

Now you're talking! happy.png

It's way past my bedtime in Europe, so I'll try to catch up with everyone tomorrow.

Domo Arigato. -- "Take Five" 

#34 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,207 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 03:24 PM

Tamasaburo is in his mid-sixties, and has pretty much retired from the Kabuki stage. He is now the AD of Kodo. I was lucky enough to get to see him perform when the Grand Kabuki came to NY in the early 80's. He was bigger than a rock star. 

One of the greatest things I've ever seen in the theater.

He did an interesting collaboration with YoYo Ma as part of the Bach cello suites series "Inspired by Bach."

#35 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:10 PM

The internet being what it is, there is of course a Bon Odori cat video. And Bon Odori Gangnam style ... 

PS: Pina Bausch's "Seasons" march always reminds me of Bon Odori!

Damn, I've been bon dancing for years, but I've never seen a cat.  I obviously don't go to the right festival...

And yes, the Bausch does look very like!

#36 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:12 PM

Buddy - Have you seen the documentary Planet B-Boy? If not, and if you're interested in some hip-hop dance lore, you should check it out. You can watch it on YouTube here. Different style from JabbaWokeeZ, but totally dedicated to their art. 

I love that film!

#37 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 02:50 AM

Please delete because of double posting.

#38 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 02:57 AM

I love that film!

I’ve watched the first half hour and am really enjoying it. I think that when I was their age I would have broken in half just thinking about what they can do. Whenever I’m walking around in a city it’s these guys and the street musicians that are almost guaranteed to make me feel good. Thanks also, sandik, for your stylistic comparisons, such as those between Gil Isoart, Fred Astaire and Michael Jackson. I still haven’t looked up “upbeat” and “downbeat” but I’m getting there.

“ HA! I'll raise you with Japanese dance done to Dave Brubeck's Take Five. “ —  Kathleen.

“ Where Should Dance Go ? “

Do You Believe In Magic

In A Young Girl’s Heart

How The Music Can Free Her

Whenever It Starts

(lyrics by John Sebastian)

I’m hopefully off to the countryside this afternoon to see a different kind of dance.

#39 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 08:35 AM

Oh, I envy the chance for Northern Lights.  I've only seen them once, a very weak showing, but it was one of the most astonishing things I've ever experienced.

#40 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:31 PM

Oh, I envy the chance for Northern Lights.  I've only seen them once, a very weak showing, but it was one of the most astonishing things I've ever experienced.

Then you’ve been a lot more fortunate than me, sandik. I only used this video as an example of nature’s beautiful ‘dance’. I tried for the Northern Lights once in Scotland. We do have a small waterfall here. Waterfalls have great personality and are great dancers. My favorites, though, are probably waves. When there is a ballet performance in Costa Mesa, I drive in and try to get to the beach before, at sunset. Front row seats for this amazing ‘dance’ are always available.

#41 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 02:48 PM

Can’t resist this one. B-Boys, JabbaWokeeZ, Stand Back !

#42 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 03:15 AM

One of the things that I like very much about Fred Astaire is that his feet seem to be ‘street virtuoso’ while his shoulders, arms, etc. are almost ‘high art,’ ballet, etc. George Balanchine apparently appreciated this, having worked in similar waters from a ballet orientation, and supposed considered Fred Astaire to be his favorite male dancer. It's this combination of 'natural' and 'ethereal' that I keep coming back to and like so much.

#43 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:35 AM

“ Where Should Dance Go ? “ and Where is it already ? Possibilities ? Desirabilities ?  Quite a few.

Let’s revisit some old friends for a moment.

Worlds Unite. "Somehow we have slipped through time" (Whitey) (Anna Pavlova and Whitey)

Dance is Fun ! (Dance with Matt)

Added: Matt 2008 video above -- 47,398,934 views !

(Added Added: Highly recommend clicking on 2012 also. May as well throw in 2006 and hold your breath at 3:07)

#44 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:11 AM

No fair -- Where's Matt At always makes me cry.

#45 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:46 AM

No fair -- Where's Matt At always makes me cry.

Could you please elaborate ?

Added: If you're talking about tears of happiness, me too !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):