This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Met Row D

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ord7916

ord7916

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 04:36 AM

Just ordered my first subscription and for two nights, got Orchestra Row D, slightly on the side.  Should I exchange these for something further back?      

#2 fondoffouettes

fondoffouettes

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:03 AM

Yes, I would strongly recommend trying to get something slightly farther back. The orchestra section banks very little until about row H or so. Sitting in the first five rows, you'll find that dancers' legs and feet will occasionally be blocked by other audience members' heads. It can be exciting to sit very close, but I think the negatives outweigh the advantages for me. If you are on the shorter side, I would definitely recommend switching tickets. (And if you are on the taller side, you can count on fellow audience members making crabby comments about your height, as happens frequently to my 6'4'' ballet-going companion.) 

Depending on how far to the side you are, quite a bit of either side of the stage can be cut off when you sit very close. If you are only slightly to the side, then I wouldn't worry about this issue too much. 

#3 Kathleen O'Connell

Kathleen O'Connell

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:37 AM

Yes. What fondoffouettes said.

Move back if you can, and try to get as close to aisle as you reasonably can. The Met's sight lines from the outermost half of the orchestra's side sections are at best suboptimal, especially if you're close, and I say this as someone who generally prefers an off-center view. 

#4 ord7916

ord7916

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:34 AM

Thanks for the replies.  I went in yesterday and was able to get better seats for everything.  It's hard to understand why they don't let you pick your own seats from the start.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):