This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

D.C. Ticket Shenanigans

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 YouOverThere

YouOverThere

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:52 AM

A friend and I decided to take in the National Philharmonic concert at the Strathmore on Sunday. The ticket price range was advertised as starting at $28. When I went to the website, it showed that all the $28 tickets were sold. Not surprising, since there were only 36 seats. More surprising was that all the $37 tickets were sold. I ended up buying tickets for $45. From where we sat, I had a clear view of all the $28 seats. There wasn't a single person sitting in any of them. I could only see a small portion of the $37 section, but there wasn't anyone sitting in any of the seats that I could see. A case of a lot of people deciding that it was too nice a day to spend indoors?

Back in June, I went to the National Symphony's season-ending concert at the Kennedy Center. The website showed so many $25 tickets available that I decided that I didn't need to spend the extra $3 to buy a ticket ahead of time. When I got to the Kennedy Center, they told me that all the $25 tickets had been sold, so I also ending up spending $45. From my seat, I could see the half of the $25 seats that were on the other side of the concert hall. I counted more than 20 empty seats. A case of a lot of people deciding that it was too nice an evening to spend indoors?

#2 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:52 AM

scalpers bought the cheap seats and then couldn't sell them?

#3 lmspear

lmspear

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:11 PM

Or they gave a way comp tickets and nobody came.

#4 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:28 PM

This situation is annoying.

Could be they were sold or put aside for a travel company/hotel/tourism and then never used.

I'd try calling somebody at the theater. Tickets are so expensive these days, especially with dynamic ticket pricing and ridiculous fees...

#5 YouOverThere

YouOverThere

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:25 PM

This situation is annoying.

Could be they were sold or put aside for a travel company/hotel/tourism and then never used.

I'd try calling somebody at the theater. Tickets are so expensive these days, especially with dynamic ticket pricing and ridiculous fees...

I did send an email to the Kennedy Center. They insisted that all the $25 tickets were sold.

At least at the National Philharmonic concert I got to hear one of the greatest musical instruments ever built, a rare Matteo Gofriller cello, built in 1693. What a glorious sound it made! The tone was full throughout the entire range; no nasally tones at the high end.

#6 YouOverThere

YouOverThere

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:17 AM

A co-worker and I managed to score $29 to the Nov. 7 Suzanne Farrell Ballet performance at the KC, which is the advertised lowest price. But I can't find any other $29 tickets available. Even the seats directly behind us (we're in the balcony) are going for $50. We bought our tickets almost a month ago. A case of "dynamic pricing"?

#7 YouOverThere

YouOverThere

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:56 PM

I received an email with a code for a discount for the National Symphony Orchestra for last weekend. I went to the Saturday concert. The folks at the ticket office said that they had nothing in their system that showed that any discount codes had been distributed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):