This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Suzanne Farrell Ballet season preview & webcast 23rd October 2013(Now Archived)

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,407 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:03 PM

Many thanks for the dancer ID's, cantdance!

I really liked Valerie Tellmann in "Agon."  It's also nice to Alison Basford again:  she dance with PNB in the 00's.

#17 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,740 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:48 AM

This experience makes me wonder (again): Why can't SF Ballet do live streaming broadcasts of their performances, that are accessed by people who pay in advance for an online "ticket" (and use name/pass access)?

Or any company for that matter - why not do a live stream of the performance and charge for access? At say, $15 a ticket, they could get a few hundred people (I'm sure) to participate and make some money, and gain exposure.

What would the production costs be?  I have a feeling that it's not as cheap as we might think.

#18 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:27 AM

What would the production costs be?  I have a feeling that it's not as cheap as we might think.

We know from yesterday's broadcast that Kennedy Center already has the basic equipment, camera people, software and a streaming server set up for their purposes. The only additional cost that I see would be the online ticket/access purchase, but since they do have online purchases for in-house performance tickets, I would think they just need to modify the existing purchase system to allow for purchase of online credits.

Of course for those companies doing it for the first time, they would need to consider purchasing at least a couple HD quality video cameras (many companies have at least one to record themselves with for their own archives), and 2 operators. [The Kennedy Center broadcast used 2 camera positions that I noticed - a third one mounted above the stage would be a nicety.] They would need a computer to connect the cameras to. The streaming software cost can range from free to, say $1000 or more. Just depends. The computer that the cameras connect to needs to have an Internet connection with an upload speed that supports HD rates. And they would need a tech person who understands how the live streaming software works and can oversee things.

There are of course companies that supply software as well as support to businesses that want to stream an event live over the Internet. Many people are standing by to take your money.  ;)

#19 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,740 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:27 AM

Many people are standing by to take your money.  ;)

You know, I've seen them everywhere.

#20 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:53 AM

Becasue of the costs of configuring and maintaining a webcast/streaming server, I imagine Kennedy Center is paying for a service of some kind, like the Livestream.com people. You can see their pricing structure on this page:

http://new.livestream.com/plans

And for anyone tech minded enough, The "How things Work" website explains the basics of "How Streaming Video and Audio Work".

It's true that a ballet company would need access to a reputable webcasting expert who knows what's involved, and what software/hardware solutions to recommend for the particular job. It always helps to ask those that have been through the experience what worked and what didn't, and what the pitfalls are.

#21 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,407 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:56 AM

The very basic set-up at the Kennedy Center, Juilliard (for Master Classes), and the Guggenheim (for Works & Process) isn't nearly expensive as the HD broadcasts, but I don't know how many companies want to be seen in such a primitive form.  I'm sure they'd all love to be on the big screen.

#22 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:36 PM

Looks like Kennedy Center is using "JW Player" for at least the archived videos, but those people also offer hosting and streaming services:

"JW Player Platform provides media management, a developer API, and high-volume hosting and streaming."

Anyway, it's possible to set up a webcast with open source software (free) if you have the right tech geek working for you - the real issue is having a dedicated server to support streaming media, and so people often have to go with a service of some kind that specializes in hosting live streams.

#23 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:45 PM

It's so nice to have last night's performance archived already, especially since in the past - as late as 2012, at least - archiving of Millennium Stage performances has taken months. And to have full movements of Episodes, nowhere else to be seen but onstage and at the NY Public Library branch at Lincoln Center . . . fabulous!

#24 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:12 PM

It's so nice to have last night's performance archived already, especially since in the past - as late as 2012, at least - archiving of Millennium Stage performances has taken months. And to have full movements of Episodes, nowhere else to be seen but onstage and at the NY Public Library branch at Lincoln Center . . . fabulous!

I totally agree - I've watched the performance a number of times now. Which reminds me, who is the 'lead' woman in Episodes (the first section)? Is that Ogden?

#25 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:32 PM

w

who is the 'lead' woman in Episodes (the first section)? Is that Ogden?

I believe that's the woman cantdance identified as Valerie Tellmann in Agon. She's new to the Farrell company.That's Elizabeth Holochuk, a longtime soloist in the company, in the following movement.

#26 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:36 PM

w

who is the 'lead' woman in Episodes (the first section)? Is that Ogden?

I believe that's the woman cantdance identified as Valerie Tellmann in Agon. She's new to the Farrell company.That's Elizabeth Holochuk, a longtime soloist in the company, in the following movement.

Thanks KFW - she was indeed in the Agon excerpt as well.

Tellmann-236x315.jpg

#27 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:49 PM

Thanks to Jack Reed for noticing that the archived video (from the LIVE preview) had been put up immediately on the Kennedy Center website:

http://www.kennedy-c...ideos/?id=M5627

I recommend taking a look if only for the segments of Balanchine's Episodes, which I don't think has been seen online before in any form.

Suzanne Farrell Ballet performs sections from:

Mozartiana

Episodes

Apollo

Agon

Pas de Dix

More details can be found in this thread: http://balletalert.i...d-october-2013/

#28 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 11:02 AM

Especially in the absence of a Millennium Stage Preview performance of TSFB this year, I thought it would be useful to summarize all in one place for handy reference what we've figured out on this thread so far about who's dancing what (especially if I can link to this post from the page on the Kennedy Center web site where the video plays).  I've included the moment in time in the video, shown at the left end of the progress bar under the window where the video plays, when each dance begins to help with the identification, and you may be able to navigate back and forth through the video as it plays by nudging the button in the progress bar left or right with your cursor:

Mozartiana excerpts

[00:10] i. Preghiera ["Prayer"]

Natalia Magnicaballi, four girls

[4:40] iii. Menuet

four solo women

[8:43] Kristen Gallagher, ballet mistress for the Suzanne Farrell Ballet

Episodes excerpts:

[10:13] from First Movement

Valerie Tellment, Ian Grosh

[15:56] pas de deux from the Third Movement

Elisabeth Holowchuk with Kirk Henning

[18:48] Kristen Gallagher introduces Apollo

Apollo excerpts:

[19:35] iii. variation, Terpsichore

Natalia Magnicaballi

[21:36] iv. variation, Apollo

Michael Cook

[24:05] pas de deux of Terpsichore and Apollo

Natalia Magnicaballi with Michael Cook

[28:40] Kristen Gallagher introduces Agon

Agon excerpt: ii. pas de trois

Ian Grosh, Valerie Tellment, Kirk Henning 

[29:32] bransle simple

[30:46] bransle double

[32:24] Kristen Gallagher introduces the remainder of TSFB's 2013 season

[36:22] Pas de Dix excerpt:

Natalia Magnicaballi with Michael Cook

Amy Brandt with Jesse Campbell,  Alison Basford with Ian Grosh,  Miriam Ernest with Oliver Swan-Jackson,  Katie Gibson with Ted Seymour

#29 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 11:29 AM

Thanks, Jack. I just noticed several short video interviews with SFB dancers on the company's Facebook page.

#30 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:01 PM

Thanks, Jack. I just noticed several short video interviews with SFB dancers on the company's Facebook page.

And now that I've taken the time to watch them, I can report that they yield several clues about casting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):