This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Reprint of Cyril Beaumont on Swan Lake

Many of you probably already receive mailings from Dance Books, but just in case...

"We have two new publications for you this month: a reprint of Cyril Beaumont's 'The Ballet called Swan Lake', a classic work on the world's most popular ballet, which should be read by all dancers, producers, musicians, historians and audiences; and a reprint of the 1924 English translation of Angelo Constantini's biography of Tiberio Fiorilli, an early commedia dell'arte player who is credited with creating the character Scaramouch. The 1924 edition of this beautiful book is exceptionally scarce, having been printed in an ediiton of only 390 copies.

You will find ordering facilities for these and other new titles at:

http://www.dancebooks.co.uk/

Sincerely,

David Leonard

Dance Books Ltd

dwl@dancebooks.co.uk"

Beaumont's book was essential reading and I recommend it. My paperback copy came from a used bookstore and is pretty dog-eared; I prefer books in great condition (who doesn't) but regardless, it is a must-read! I'll read it again someday.

I just purchased from Amazon (through the link below) Wiley's "Tchaikovsky's Ballets: Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty, Nutcracker" (finally found a seller with an affordable price), "Vaganova Today: The Preservation of Pedagogical Tradition" by Catherine Pawlick, "Russian Ballet Master: the Memoirs of Marius Petipa, " and Jack Anderson's The Nutcracker Ballet". Can't wait to dig into these! As my husband Joe, who is an astute book collector, says: [The library is] 'a little bit richer and a little bit sweeter...'

On another Tchaikovsky note, we're attending SPAC's final night with the Philadelphia Orchestra. It's an all-Tchaikovksy program with the added delight of Tiler Peck and Chase Finley of NYCB dancing the Swan Lake and Nutcracker grand pas de deux. It should be grand! I'll be happy to report on it and if anyone is attending that performance, it would be great to hear from you! -Regards to All.