This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

George Balanchine's The Nutcracker2011 performances in Arsht and Broward

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:42 PM

Cristian, can I take you back to the pantomime at the beginning of Act II? I think Mel Johnson commented on the thread about the NYCB PBS broadcast about how the Prince walks in a circle to introduce it, by way of saying, "Now listen to this". (Only I can't find his comment now.)*

What do you remember? All I recall is a certain vagueness in direction in Kornfeld's initial movements, and now I wonder whether this little circular walk, along with the "arise" gesture I wrote about above, was also restored to this production, or nearly.

*Which is because it's in the thread http://balletalert.i...post__p__296607 about the 1958 video.

Edited by Jack Reed, 11 January 2012 - 10:26 AM.

#17 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,272 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:03 PM

Sorry, Jack, for my delayed response. I came back yesterday from a two days trip-(which I will talk about a little linked to another thread).
About the little Prince mime scene, what I can remember related to what he does before recounting his tale is the two gestures of "wait" to his right and left audiences, and then his backward walking while doing some circular motion movements with his hands. Maybe the circular walking is happening during the whole scene, for which he certainly covers a big deal of space while miming...?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):