This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Hallberg Joining The Bolshoi; Will Continue to Appear w. ABT

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 Stecyk

Stecyk

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 08:55 PM

American steps into Bolshoi Ballet corps

By Sergei L. Loiko, Los Angeles Times

October 12, 2011

Reporting from Moscow When the Kings of the Dance tour a showcase of some of the top male dancers in the world premiered at the Stanislavsky Musical Theater last week, the representative of the legendary Bolshoi Ballet was South Dakota-born David Hallberg. An American in the Bolshoi? It was unimaginable just months ago.

But the Bolshoi did imagine it, and on Sept. 21 what some dubbed a defection in reverse was announced, recalling the days when heralded dancers, Rudolf Nureyev and Mikhail Baryshnikov among them, fled the Soviet Union for Western companies.

#32 bobbi

bobbi

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 03:56 AM

Hallberg fans can catch his Bolshoi Sleeping Beauty with Zakharova at a live transmission on Sunday, November 20, at the Big Cinemas theater on East 59th Street. I was at the Esmeralda this past Sunday (reviewed in today's Times) and can report that it was very well done from the filming point of view. It's like having a prime orchestra seat for $25 (but with a more comfortable seat). I hope these transmissions "take off" because the Symphony Space discontinued the opera ones because of lack of interest.

#33 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:21 AM

http://artsbeat.blog...ancer/?ref=arts

Here's another mini interview w. Hallberg regarding his feelings about his recent Giselle performance, and his prep for the upcoming Sleeping Beauty. All this publicity is great for Hallberg, but also for ABT. People who have no interest in ballet seem to have heard of David Hallberg due to all of the publicity. My brother,, who has never been and will never go to any ballet, even heard about Hallberg and asked me some questions. Hopefully Hallberg is solidifying his fan base here in the US.

Also, with reference to Bobbi's post, some additional theaters will be broadcasting the upcoming Sleeping Beauty. Go to Fathom Event and follow the links relating to the Bolshoi Sleeping Beauty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):