This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

NYCO to leave Lincoln Center - impact on NYCB

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/21/arts/music/new-york-city-opera-plans-to-leave-lincoln-center.html?_r=1&hp

I am saddened by the news that NYCO is leaving Lincoln Center due to its financial crisis. I hope it'll find a suitable venue and pull through the financial challenge. May be it'll become an anchore in their new neighborhood, and retain old audience and reach new ones.

So I think NYCB tri-season (fall, winter, and spring) will become permanent. But how the State Theater is going to filled when NYCB is not in sessions. May be ABT will move its fall season from City Center to State? May be it'll take up full time residency at LC and become a full-fledged constituent of LC? Don't know how the sets of their full lengths going to fit the State stage. May be Bolshoi, Mariinsky, POB, RB don't have to wait until July to visit NYC? Will Paul Taylor, Alvin Ailey, Mark Morris be interested in taking up some of the slots?

If State can't fill the slots vacated by NYCO, will the financial burden fall on NYCB? There are tons of possibilities and ramifications.

The burden of the unfilled weeks will fall on the City Center of Music and Drama (not City Center Theatre)who is the landlord for NYCB and NYCO. The building is owned by the city of NY and leased to City Center of Music and Drama.

May be ABT will move its fall season from City Center to State? May be it'll take up full time residency at LC and become a full-fledged constituent of LC? Don't know how the sets of their full lengths going to fit the State stage.

ABT could certainly have a fall season at the venue formerly called State Theatre, after the mid-October conclusion of NYCB's season. In the fall, ABT has performed repertory pieces with minimal or no scenery.

In my opinion, it is very unlikely that ABT would also consider moving there for the spring. The ABT and NYCB spring seasons currently overlap by about four weeks, and I'm pretty sure that the Met stage is significantly larger, which would mean (as you had supposed) that ABT would have to create all new sets for the story ballets, and probably some new choreography to fit the smaller stage.

Hopefully the Theater formerly known as the State will see some major visiting ballet companies, too. I would be surprised if ABT did its full length ballets at the State, since the State has about 1,000 fewer seats than the MET.