This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

At last! 'Naughty Marietta' and 'Sweethearts' will be available on DVD through Movies Unlimited. I'm sure Amazon will get there eventually. 'Sweethearts' I'm not too crazy about but 'Naughty Marietta' is neat. Let's hope there is more to come, especially my favorite (and MacDonald's), "Maytime." Must get my operetta fix!

I have a jones for “Rose Marie,” too, but I’m probably beyond help. Although I do think the movie is pretty good on its merits, at least the first half.

I will say for “Sweethearts” that it has some snappy dialogue for MacDonald and Adrian going high on the hog.

I always forget that MacDonald was working at MGM when the great trio of Crawford, Garbo and Shearer was there. I guess you can consider the four of them as a quartet as they were all part of the general housecleaning that went on from 1941-1943.

I'm shocked, dirac -- shocked! -- that you forgot about Crawford returning to MGM in 1953 for one last time in her "blackface" musical, Torch Song. (Weirdly, Marjorie Rambeau, who played Crawford's mother in 1931's Laughing Sinners played her mother again in this -- and was Academy Award-nominated!)

This probably doesn't count, though, because MacDonald returned when L.B. Mayer was still at the helm while Crawford returned after he was forced out in 1951.

Ya got me on that one, miliosr. Yes, it would have been more accurate to say that MacDonald was the only one rehired by Mayer, who always liked her.

How could I forget "Torch Song" ? Not to derail the thread, but the mention of that masterpiece invariably reminds me of the great Carol Burnett parody "Torchy Song" with Burnett ("But that's my POSE!"), Harvey Korman, and a great set of put-upon chorus boys.

Ya got me on that one, miliosr.

Well, I think you're better off maintaining amnesia about Torch Song! While Torch Song is legendary among camp enthusiasts, it really kicked off that very bizarre late period of Crawford's.

For all that Mayer is seen now as this grasping, controlling figure, Crawford and MacDonald both got a long with him after their days at the studio were over.