• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,219 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 12:39 PM

I was wondering if the deleted Pas de Trois "Andante Sostenuto"-(1st variation)- from the 1877 rendition of the score is being used in modern productions of the ballet. Is such a BEAUTIFUL piece of music...
http://www.amazon.co...MGDRCZXXZQS223G

Thanks!

#2 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,709 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 12:43 PM

Solo for Siegfried! CMB check your e-mail! :)

#3 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:04 AM

Mme. Hermine, Thank you. I've always wondered where the Siegfried's solo music came from.

#4 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,219 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:11 AM

Yes, thanks Mme. Hermine!! :thumbsup:

#5 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 11:33 AM

Apparently, Tchaikovsky being a ballet novice in 1877, the andante sostenuto was supposed to be like an adage for 3 dancers, echoing the structure of the pas de deux, with its entree, adage, variations for danseur and ballerina, and coda. Pas de trois structure does not ordinarily contain an adage.

#6 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,219 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 11:40 AM

Apparently, Tchaikovsky being a ballet novice in 1877, the andante sostenuto was supposed to be like an adage for 3 dancers, echoing the structure of the pas de deux, with its entree, adage, variations for danseur and ballerina, and coda. Pas de trois structure does not ordinarily contain an adage.

You just read my mind, Mel. I've always wondered if that first melody following the Entree would be danced by all the dancers, and not necessarily a variation for just one of them, and if this was the case, then who owned this variation, the danseur or one of the two ballerinas...?

#7 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 12:34 PM

It's my supposition that this "variation" fits the bill of the earlier pas de x's from the age of Bournonville and St.-Léon and marks the "adage" as one of the variations, I guess by all three dancers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):