This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

The Siren in Prodigal Son: Who are/were the best?

bart

I recall from either an interview with Danilova or from "Chura," [and I may have mentioned this on the board previously] that in their hotel room, Balanchine was considering the ending. He was at his wits end about how to deal with the very long (lyrical) stretch of music from the time the sisters drag the Prodigal in through the gate until he is taken up in his father's arms. The Prodigal's long, slow, hobbled walk with his hands behind his back (a sign of shame???) was his solution as to how to fill those bars.

Thank you!

On 7/13/2010 at 1:21 AM, Quiggin said:

There is a wonderful scene of Doubrovska in her living room acting out the Siren part in Virginia Brooks' film "Felia Doubrosvska Remembered" (available at Amazon). First Doubrovska is sitting demurely on the sofa, with pillows neatly set up on point behind her as she tells stories about Diaghilew. Then suddenly, in the flash of a jump cut, she is kneeling on the floor showing how the part is done, touching the coffee table with her knees (her legs are too long for the alloted space) and grandly bending backwards as her little dog watches from the sofa.

Yes!  I've watched that video tons of times.  What a wonderful film, and what a delightful person she seems to be.  And she was still able to  "dance in place" at that advanced age!

I though Damian Woetzel was a great Prodigal Son.  He brought intelligence to the role, and resisted any urge  of overacting.   

Alexopolous was an excellent Siren.  More recently I would also commend Korowski  and Mearns.   

I have not liked  any of the interpreters in recent years, such as DeLuz or Ulbricht.   I'm thinking that they may give Mejia a try at this role next time it is revived.

I thought  Peter Boal was great as the Prodigal.  Maria Calegari was a terrific siren although I'm not sure she and Boal were together in the performance I saw.  Kowroski was also a great siren.  I agree that this could be a good role for Mejia. 

From my reminisces of the Mariinsky Festivals.

Maria Kowroski   The evening before her performance they gave her the front box to sit in. They didn't need lighting that evening. With Damian Woetzel -- The Prodigal Son   Year?

Teresa Reichlen   Prodigal Son 2012   What a delight she turned that work into.