• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 PeggyR

PeggyR

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 07:43 AM

Just gave myself two post-Christmas/pre-New Year book gifts: the Jowitt biography of Jerome Robbins, and Mindy Aloff's 'Hippo in a Tutu'. The latter sounds like fun: it's about dance in Disney animation.

#17 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 09:49 AM

Less than 15 minutes ago I received Marguerite Yourcenar's "MÉMOIRES D´HADRIEN" -(Hadrian's memoirs)-in its Spanish edition-("MEMORIAS DE ADRIANO). It's been more than 15 years since I read it, but I will always remember what a big impact had Antinoo's story on me. Back then I had it in its original language, but then, my french was way better than now. Visiting it again in my native language will post a real thrill. Can't wait to go home to start the reading.

I've never been able to read it in anything but English, so I envy you. Great book.

The Joffrey Ballet by Sasha Anawalt; I bought it for myself, does that count?

Sure. In my experience the gift books I am usually best pleased with are the ones I buy for myself. :)

Thanks for posting, all.

#18 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,572 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 10:54 AM

The Joffrey Ballet by Sasha Anawalt; I bought it for myself, does that count? :)

Si, Oui, Yes! Always :)

#19 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 12:00 PM

... Ballet and Modern Dance Susan Au

I'm so glad to see this mentioned! I've used this as a primary text when I've taught dance history, and have always liked it. It's not as US-centric as some other survey texts, and there's a nice balance between general historical information and specific detail. Plus, the style is very read-able -- I think you'll enjoy it.

#20 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 12:01 PM

...and the first English edition of Je Sais Cuisiner by Ginette Mathiot. :P

Me too -- I'm really looking forward to cooking out of it!

#21 Ray

Ray

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 02:56 PM

A book I took out of the library near Xmas: The Lexicographer's Dilemma, by Jack Lynch. Reviewed Thursday in the NY Times: http://www.nytimes.c....html?ref=books.

I think the thesis of the book, that "correct English" has a very recent history, might be especially interesting in light of our aesthetic conversations/debates on "correctness" in ballet styles and practice. And it's just fun to read.

For an excerpt click here.

#22 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 09:51 PM

A book I took out of the library near Xmas: The Lexicographer's Dilemma, by Jack Lynch. Reviewed Thursday in the NY Times: http://www.nytimes.c....html?ref=books.

I think the thesis of the book, that "correct English" has a very recent history, might be especially interesting in light of our aesthetic conversations/debates on "correctness" in ballet styles and practice. And it's just fun to read.

For an excerpt click here.

Oh, this sounds good -- I'll scamper off and put it on my library hold list!

#23 Ed Waffle

Ed Waffle

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:38 PM

Nobody gives me presents anymore because I've reached that age when everybody assumes I must already have everything I want (HA!), so my literary gifts to myself this year:

-Lynn Seymour's autobiography
-Richard J. Evans' three volume history of the Third Reich
-A couple of Georgette Heyer novels I haven't read yet - including Cotillion :clapping: (after half a dozen chapters of Nazis, you really need some Georgette Heyer)
-Paul Moses' The Saint and the Sultan
-The Complete Stories of J.G. Ballard (1,200 pages: if I take this on the bus, the driver will probably charge for an extra seat)

(emphasis added)

I look forward to reading any discussion of this amazing study--particularly the third one, "The Third Reich at War". It may be that I am simply too old or have read too much Holocaust literature over the years but Evans methodical and ultimately shattering account of the Final Solution as the Wermacht moved east was simply too much concentrated evil for me to continue reading. When I caught myself flipping through the index to find passages that described the destruction of German cities toward the end of the war in Europe--Marshall Zhukov lining up thousands of pieces of artillery wheel to wheel before beginning the final bombardment of Berlin for example--I realized that this was simply the wrong book at the wrong time at least for me.

Which is not to criticize Evans in any way--he seems know more than anyone about Europe, 1933 to 1945 and the reviewers of the entire trilogy or individual books wore out the thesarus in coming up with new ways to praise them.

#24 Ed Waffle

Ed Waffle

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:30 PM

For Christmas--although bit late with this

"Thomas Hardy: The Complete Poems"

Claire Tomalin's biography of Hardy.

"At the Hong Kong Movies: 1988 to the Handover" Paul Fonoroff

"Stardom, Italian Style" Marcia Landry

#25 vagansmom

vagansmom

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 01:19 PM

On New Year's Day, I received another book: Kathryn Stockett's The Help. It's written in first person by three different characters, two of whom are black maids/nannies in early 1960's Mississippi, and the third a young white woman who wants to write their stories. Stockett does a fine job conveying life in that era. It's her first book, so I am looking forward to equally thought-provoking books from her in the future.

#26 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 02:23 PM

Thanks for keeping this thread going, all, even after the holiday. Sounds like great reading!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):