Air for the G String, Other Doris Humphrey DancesErnestine Stodelle, Reusch Dance Video

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 papeetepatrick

papeetepatrick

Sapphire Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 07:30 PM

With My Red Fires is very interesting... has kind of a soviet-realist style heroine ... and a corps, something less often seen in modern dance...

Yes, it's very much the Greek chorus feeling, and I like 'soviet-realist style heroine'. I wouldn't have thought of that myself, but it makes sense.

#17 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 07:30 PM

I also didn't shoot the Two Dances mentioned...

Two dances
Hightstown, N.J. : Dance Horizons Video, c1999.
Call #: VC 793.28 T
Subjects Modern dance.

I've shot Day on Earth, but no coaching, only in performance. Piece involves a child performer as well as adults, if I remember correctly.

#18 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 07:33 PM

Perhaps also you'd enjoy reading Ernestine's book on Martha Graham.

#19 papeetepatrick

papeetepatrick

Sapphire Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 07:34 PM

Should I call NYPL or the Doris Humphrey Society? I really would like to see 'the Shakers' and I've never actually gone over there and watched the non-circulating things. Or should I just go on over to the Lincoln Center Library, I could watch several of your tapes in that case.

#20 papeetepatrick

papeetepatrick

Sapphire Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 07:37 PM

Perhaps also you'd enjoy reading Ernestine's book on Martha Graham.

Oh yes, I'm going to look that up too. I'm really interested in these things that started with Denishawn right now, and also the other night watched that old vhs with all thes Denishawn pieces in it, including 'White Jade' and also Stuart Hodes as St. Francis. I liked a lot of it, although it's clear they all broke away from it to make their own work. I liked some of Ted Shawn's pieces a lot too, more than the St. Francis I think, and this was my first time to see any of the St. Denis and Shawn pieces.

#21 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 07:45 PM

Should I call NYPL or the Doris Humphrey Society? I really would like to see 'the Shakers' and I've never actually gone over there and watched the non-circulating things. Or should I just go on over to the Lincoln Center Library, I could watch several of your tapes in that case.

You'll find all sorts of things! I recommend going to Lincoln Center if it's not difficult.

#22 papeetepatrick

papeetepatrick

Sapphire Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 07:50 PM

[You'll find all sorts of things! I recommend going to Lincoln Center if it's not difficult.

Oh, good heavens, nothing could be simpler, I go there all the time. I don't know why I haven't gone to their reference room in so many years. I'll go next week and report back. Thanks--can't wait!

#23 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 07:51 PM

Well, if you're really interested in Denishawn, you really ought to open communications with the Humphrey Society. Stephanie Clemens, the president, is also a Denishawn reconstructor and grew up being babysat by Denishawn dancers. She studied at Julliard (under Tudor, I know, perhaps under Limon, but I don't remember her speaking of it). She worked a great deal with Karoun Tootikian, whom I believe held St. Denis' estate. I think they tried to donate the holdings to UCLA, but one day Karoun came in and found all those beautiful scarves and costumes thrown all over the floor of the dancers' lockerroom and I think she removed the archive... but I could be mis-remembering again... they could still be there... or it might not have been UCLA.

What I don't understand is why it didn't all go to Adelphi if Ruth St. Denis founded Adelphi's dance department. Perhaps because Karoun lived in southern California, she wanted to keep it close by?

#24 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 07:54 PM

Oh yes, I'm going to look that up too. I'm really interested in these things that started with Denishawn right now, and also the other night watched that old vhs with all thes Denishawn pieces in it, including 'White Jade' and also Stuart Hodes as St. Francis. I liked a lot of it, although it's clear they all broke away from it to make their own work. I liked some of Ted Shawn's pieces a lot too, more than the St. Francis I think, and this was my first time to see any of the St. Denis and Shawn pieces

:) I like Stuart Hodes as almost anything! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):