26 replies to this topic

#16 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 03:19 PM

As non-computer-literate people, they probably don't appreciate that the net has become, for most people, the preferred source for current info. In terms of bang-for-the-buck (are Canadian dollars called "bucks"?) it's a much more efficient communication medium than postcards.

#17 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 04:07 PM

.....the net has become, for most people, the preferred source for current info.

I agree, carbro. While Solomon is very proud of their website, it's meant more as documentation for supporters to see all they've accomplished than a tool for up-to-the-minute information. All I can do is relay the concerns of posters to them. In addition to receiving postcards and emails about the galas and ballets like Giselle and the Nutcracker with "superstar" guest artists, I usually get a phone call asking to publicize their productions on the ballet forums. I do what I can, but walk a fine line because of forum rules. I am not considered an official source. I understand the need for the rule, but have to chuckle that the "official news" goes from the Tencers to the PR people, same as it's told to me (and others) by the Tencers when it happens, becoming "official" as turned by the wheels of public relations administrators.

(Canadian dollars are called bucks. However, the one and two dollar bills were both replaced by coins years ago and are almost always referred to as "loonies" and "toonies".)

#18 sz

sz

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 06:18 PM

Of course, we all understand how busy the Tencers must be preparing for this event. At the same time...

Well..., thank goodness for BT--

#19 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 04:40 AM

Here's the program:

SOLOMON TENCER ANNOUNCES THE 2008 'STARS OF THE 21ST CENTURY' FEBRUARY 11 AT THE STATE THEATER/LINCOLN CENTER

Monday February 11, 7:30PM
State Theater/Lincoln Center
Tickets: $30-$150
Reservations: 212/721-6500

"Stars of the 21st Century" returns to the State Theater/Lincoln Center for a Monday, February 11th performance with principal artists from major ballet companies around the world - the Bolshoi Ballet, Paris Opera Ballet, London's Royal Ballet, American Ballet Theatre, Berlin Opera Ballet, Mikhailovsky Opera and Ballet Theatre, Munich Ballet, and Vienna Opera Ballet. "Stars of the 21st Century" is presented by producer Solomon Tencer in major theaters in Paris, Toronto, and New York, and features today's ballet stars in both contemporary works and beloved pas de deux from the classical repertory.

The cast for 2008:

American Ballet Theatre - David Hallberg
Berlin Opera Ballet - Ronald Savkovic, Shoko Nakamura
Bolshoi Ballet - Svetlana Lunkina, Nikolai Tsiskaridze
Mikhailovsky Opera & Anastasia and Denis Matvienko
Ballet Theatre, St. Petersburg
Munich Ballet - Lucia Lacarra, Cyril Pierre
New York City Ballet - Maria Kowroski
Paris Opera Ballet - Myriam Ould-Braham,
Emmanuel Thibault
Royal Ballet - Roberta Marquez
Vienna Opera Ballet - Daniil Simkin

PROGRAM
Tschaikovsky Pas de Deux
Choreography: George Balanchine
Music: Tschaikovsky
Maria Kowroski, David Hallberg

Delibes Suite
Choreography: Jose Martinez
Music: Delibes
Myriam Ould-Braham, Emmanuel Thibault

Moorhuhn
Choreography: Dmitrij Simkin
Music: Mussorgsky
Daniil Simkin

Giselle, Act II Pas de Deux
Choreography: Coralli and Perrot
Music: Adolphe Adam
Svetlana Lunkina, Nikolai Tsiskaridze

E Lucevan Le Stelle
Choreography: Ronald Savkovic
Music: Puccini (aria from "Tosca")
Tenor: Mihail Kotlyarov
Shoko Nakamura, Ronald Savkovic

Le Corsaire Pas de Deux
Choreography: Petipa
Music: Drigo
Anastasia and Denis Matvienko

The Lady of the Camellias, Act III Pas de Deux
Choreography: John Neumeier
Music: Chopin
Lucia Lacarra, Cyril Pierre

Don Quixote Pas de Deux
Choreography: Petipa
Music: Minkus
Roberta Marquez, Daniil Simkin

La Sylphide Pas de Deux
Choreography: Bournonville
Music: Hermann Lovenskjold
Myriam Ould-Braham, Emmanuel Thibault

Les Bourgeois
Choreography: Ben Van Cauwenbergh
Music: Jacques Brel
Daniil Simkin

La Rose Malade
Choreography: Roland Petit
Music: Gustav Mahler
Svetlana Lunkina, Nikolai Tsiskaridze

Transparente
Choreography: Ronald Savkovic
Music: Fado Portugues
Shoko Nakamura, Ronald Savkovic

Thais Pas de Deux
Choreography: Roland Petit
Music: Massenet
Lucia Lacarra, Cyril Pierre

Diana & Acteon Pas de Deux
Choreography: Vaganova
Music: Pugni
Anastasia & Denis Matvienko

Defile
Choreography: Nadia Veselova Tencer

*Subject to change

#20 aurora

aurora

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 12:45 PM

anyone else going to this tonight?

I'm really looking forward to it! :)

#21 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:01 PM

There will be a Stars gala this year, in October, at the Sony Centre in Toronto.

Stars of the 21st Century Ballet Gala 2010 in Toronto

#22 Ambonnay

Ambonnay

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:02 AM

The Stars of the 21st Century event in Toronto on October 14 is apparently expected to include, among others: Denis Matvienko/Anastasia Matvienko (Kirov), and Michail Kaniskin/Elisa Carillo Cabrera (Berlin).

Apart from the Stars of the 21st Century event, there seems to be a Nutcracker performance in Toronto involving certain Kirov dancers on December 18 and 19:

"Holiday PERFORMANCE OF THE NUTCRACKER
BALLET WITH THE STARS FROM KIROV
BALLET, ST. PETERSBURG
Winter Garden Theatre, Toronto
December 18 & 19, 2010"

#23 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:40 PM

Apart from the Stars of the 21st Century event, there seems to be a Nutcracker performance in Toronto involving certain Kirov dancers on December 18 and 19:

This is the yearly Nutcracker of the Academy of Ballet and Jazz, the school run by Solomon and Nadia Tencer. Every year the 2 or 3 principal dancers are from big-name companies, usually the Kirov, Bolshoi and ABT.

The roles danced by the stars are the older Masha, called "Princess" in the program (the equivalent of the Sugar Plum Fairy) and the "Prince". The third principal role(s) are the snowflake soloist and the waltz of the flowers soloist, which have sometimes been danced by luminaries such as Veronika Part.

Marcelo Gomes danced the Prince when he was only 20. Maxim Beloserkovsky, Dmitri Gudanov, and Carlos Lopez are a few others who have danced it. Svetlana Lunkina, Irina Dvorovenko, and Alina Somova have, among others, danced the "Princess".

This Nutcracker has been running for 15 years. The rest of the performers are chosen students of the Academy of Ballet and Jazz. The cast is quite large.

#24 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 07:31 AM

Is the Stars of the 21st Century Gala coming to New York City this season?

#25 mom2

mom2

• PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 05:54 AM

Did anyone else see the show in Toronto on Thursday night?

#26 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:28 PM

Gala tickets are too pricey for me, so I wasn't there. Please, tell us everything!

#27 mom2

mom2

• PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 02:31 PM

Oh Marga - I'm so sad you weren't there, you describe things so much better than I do!!! In addition, I did have an extra ticket at the last minute! Argh!!

Dd really liked SFB and SFB/ABT. I enjoyed them of course, but also enjoyed other couples. If you have read Paula Citron's review - we had similar thoughts. Perhaps not so positive about some things, and we definitely observed that the Defile was not rehearsed. Perhaps not at all. Luckily nobody was injured. I'm sure it's difficult when the dancers attending change at moment's notice.

Were there reviews other than Citron's? I haven't seen any yet. Would love to hear what others thought.

m2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):