#16 leonid17

leonid17

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 01:46 PM

I found this very interesting clip. Bailarina is Lorena Feijoo

Fascinating variation and charmingly performed. Whose music? Do any of our contributors know? Drigo perhaps?

#17 Alymer

Alymer

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 02:54 PM

Fascinating variation and charmingly performed. Whose music? Do any of our contributors know? Drigo perhaps?

Don't know the composer, but Mary Sleaping used that music in her production for Festival/English National Ballet.

#18 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,219 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 06:06 PM

I had seen this clip before getting my hands on the Zuraitis, and so I though that it could be part of the Minkus PDD. Then when I finally got to listen the recording, I realized that Feijoo's variation music didn't belong there. So now it seems to be ever more "lost" music going on from Giselle.

#19 leonid17

leonid17

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 04:23 AM

Don't know the composer, but Mary Sleaping used that music in her production for Festival/English National Ballet.

What a memory, I failed to recognise the music. Well done. I do remember both Eva Evdokimova and Galina Samsova's extraordinary performances in this production.

#20 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 04:34 AM

the video listed below includes Skeaping's "Pas des vendanges" - which may or may not include the solo in question here; i haven't located my copy of this video to do any cross-checking.

NYPL cat. entry:
Giselle [videorecording] / produced by Magnetic Video Corporation/Twentieth Century Fox ; directed by Stanley Dorfman and Rudolf Nureyev ; produced by Stanley Dorfman ; choreography by Peter Wright after Coralli and Perrot ; music by Adolphe Adam. 1979. (76 min.) : sd., col.
Choreography for Pas des vendanges, Mary Skeaping ; costumes, Peter Farmer.
Performed by the Bavarian State Opera Ballet
Rudolf Nureyev (Albrecht), Lynn Seymour (Giselle), Monica Mason (Queen of the Wilis), Youri Vamos (Hilarion), and Gerd Larsen (Berthe).
Music performed by the New World Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by David Coleman.

#21 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 06:56 PM

That is an exquisite performance. it's Helgi Tomasson's choreography, The production is San Francisco Ballet's, I've seen it many times now.: this is from a second pdd for Giselle and Albrecht. I believe this music is some more Burgmuller, whose music is used for the "usual' Peasant pdd.

#22 Mireille

Mireille

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:31 AM

Mel had an interesting answer to this question, which I asked last year:

http://ballettalk.in...showtopic=27605

#23 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 05:57 PM

I finally watched that clip from a machine where I can hear the sound. The steps to the "Minkus" pas de deux are very similar, but this one has different music. I wonder if somebody "shoehorned" one variation into another. Music could be Drigo. He seemed fond of the harp.

#24 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:51 AM

I finally watched that clip from a machine where I can hear the sound. The steps to the "Minkus" pas de deux are very similar, but this one has different music. I wonder if somebody "shoehorned" one variation into another. Music could be Drigo. He seemed fond of the harp.

Mel which clip are you referring to?

Re the clip of the variation danced by Lorena Feijoo, which is choreographed by Helgi Tomasson and is a fine example of Tomasson's craftsmanship (which Christian posted), SFB supplies thefollowing productions credits about the music for San Francisco Ballet's Giselle:

Production Credits: All music and orchestrations are by Adolphe Adam (unless otherwise noted). Adam wrote the music to Giselle between April 11 and June 8, 1841. Most of the music used in this new production is published and available for purchase by Kalmus Music Publishers (however, there is no published score that includes all of the music traditionally used in modern performances of Giselle). A copy of an 1854 manuscript score in the Paris Opera archives was used as a reference in preparation of the orchestral materials, which included several details missing from the published edition. Additional orchestrated and arranged music was printed for these performances: ACT I -- Peasant Pas de Cinq: traditional interpolation of music by Freidrich [sic] Burgmüller; Ladies Variation: "Shepherd's Return" from 18 Etudes de Genre for piano solo, orchestrated by Emil de Cou; Giselle’s Variation: traditional music attributed to Ludwig Minkus; ACT II -- Finale - allegro con moto -- ,arranged and orchestrated by Emil de Cou. Cathedral bells courtesy of San Francisco Opera.

#25 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 05:46 PM

All I can tell you is that the Feijoo starts the same way as a variation that was being taught at SAB in 1964, but with different music. That variations get "telescoped" into one another is hardly unusual in ballet repertoire.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):