cubanmiamiboy

Needing advise to buy "La Bayadere" DVD

56 posts in this topic

To be perfectly honest I am glad that Nureyev didn't do the last act. I think it's perfect to end the ballet with the Shades and I find Makarova's reconstruction quite cheesy.

I just find quite unnerving that now that the modern society has access to the original librettos/endings/scores, one will still be presented with a truncated version of a ballet. Makarova's staging is a winner, for which it tries to conduct the viewer along the original path. She just didn't have access to the modern resources that Ratmansky. Burlaka, Vikharev and others have nowadays.

They brought it to NY in 2002. It was very long. I actually found it rather boring blushing.gif

I, too, saw that version of Bayadere in 2002. It was very long, (it got out after midnight) but Diana Vishneva was Nikiya and, as this was my first time seeing her, I found it not at all boring.

One version of Bayadere that has not been mentioned (but I saw when the Kirov came to the Met around 1992) is the Makarova staging with Altynai Asymuratova as Nikiya and Darcey Bussel as Gamzatti. It's out on DVD and really not bad. Neither is the Zakharova/Bolle version. I would avoid at all costs the recent Bolshoi version that came out with Zakharova as Nikiya.

if mem. serves, Nureyev's plan to locate and make use of the last act of Minkus's LA BAYADERE, which he intended to stage, went unrealized due to his ill health, but it has been suggested that his aim when preparing his POB production of BAYADERE was to include the final, temple destruction scene.

Yes I had heard that Nureyev's ill health took its toll on him and also that he ran out of money and that's why he didn't include the fourth act; it's such a shame really because I have no doubt that the fourth act would've been glorious in his production.

I just find quite unnerving that now that the modern society has access to the original librettos/endings/scores, one will still be presented with a truncated version of a ballet. Makarova's staging is a winner, for which it tries to conduct the viewer along the original path. She just didn't have access to the modern resources that Ratmansky. Burlaka, Vikharev and others have nowadays.

True, that's very true and like I said, I do applaud Makarova for including the final act, even if it's not as great as the original. I wonder if Ratmansky will reconstruct La Bayadere; he's reconstructing Swan Lake at the minute, so I wonder if La Bayadere is on his list of reconstructions... I certainly hope so!

To be perfectly honest I am glad that Nureyev didn't do the last act. I think it's perfect to end the ballet with the Shades and I find Makarova's reconstruction quite cheesy.

Makarova didn't reconstruct the Petipa version of the final act; she created her own version and the music was completely rearranged by John Lanchberry from music pieces from the other acts. She did, however, follow the story faithfully, but her version of the final act is nothing compared to Petipa's.

As for Tereshkina, I hear she is a very nice ballerina to partner because she is not diva-like at all. I do agree that her looks are great for Gamzatti, but I saw her as Nikiya and she was very decent. Not earth-shattering, but no slouch either. In my opinion, she is not always spot on in her acting, but she is always very committed and trying very hard to create drama. She doesn't always achieve the best results but you admire that she is committed and working as hard as she can, and when she hits the nail on the head it is very good. I never feel like she is ever phoning a performance in. Her hard work makes me root for her.

Oh well now, I wasn't trying to imply that Tereshkina is a diva, Birdsall and yes, I can see she works hard. But my problem with her is that her dancing is very dry and I don't like her cold stage-personality; I think her technique is too harsh for the classics and she certainly cannot capture innocence and romance in her acting. Although, she does seem to come a bit more alive in modern ballets like Ratmansky's. And as I've made it clear, I am not in favour of Shklyarov partnering her because when they dance together, especially in the classics, it's like Prince Charming dancing with the Wicked Queen! That's a bad clash! Lol!! The roles that best suit Tereshkina are the non-acting roles that are all about technique, at least that's what I think.