1 reply to this topic

#1 4mrdncr

4mrdncr

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 05:36 PM

Hello,
I am a former professional ballet dancer, born in the US but raised mostly in Japan. While living in Japan, I saw many great companies and dancers--including the Bolshoi and Kirov when they did not tour to the USA. I danced with Tokyo Ballet [Gekijo?] in the '70's and then when my family moved back to the States, with an adjunct of Berkshire (MA) Ballet. After my dance career ended (injuries and the fact that a 2-3hr commute each way every day was no longer acceptable to my parents) I became a PBS producer-director/videographer-editor so I could do "Dance in America". But until very recently (last 10yrs or so) the only PBS station consistently doing dance--ie. classical ballet--productions was WNET. In fact there was a long period when I wasn't even sure "DiA" was still in production because there was a funding crisis, then a hiring freeze, and my local PBS station(s)--I lived in an overlap market--rarely showed any "Great Performances" nevermind ballets. I did manage to do several dance films (mostly performances) for some regional companies. And while I lived & worked in L.A. where ABT et.al. came for 3wks every year, I did see some great dancing. Now, after a 10year drought, I have finally reconnected to the dance world through this (and its sister website). Thanks for being there. As I frequently tell my scattered friends, "I may be crazy. But this is what keeps me sane."

#2 Giannina

Giannina

Gold Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 06:30 PM

Welcome to Ballet Talk, 4mrdncr. And thank you for the compliment. Glad we can keep you "sane"; we all cling to this site as our ballet fix. You've had a wonderful ballet history/career. We look forward to your comments on our discussions.

Giannina

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):