This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Children's Lit DissertationRecommendations gratefully received

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 floss

floss

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 12:22 AM

Just finished Children's Lit. last year. Some of the fantasy books were Diana Wynne Jones Howls Moving Castle, Terry Pratchett's disc world novels and Sky Legs (not entirely fantasy and can't quite remember author)
Check to see if you have "The Lion and the Unicorn" journal at your university, also books or articles written by Robyn McCallum, Rosemary Jackson, Jack Zipes, and John Stephens may be useful.
Also Tvetzan Todorov [the marvellous, the fantastic, the uncanny], Joseph Campbell [hero, monomyth, separation- initiation-return paradigm], Rosemary Jackson[ fantasy = literature of desire] and Jacques Lacan [the mirror phase] may be concepts to consider.

#17 JaneD

JaneD

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 03:37 AM

Thanks for reminding me of The Rose and the Ring. I loved that when I was around 11.

There was one other book which I was trying to remember when I posted before, but could not recall either the title or the author. I've got it now.

Shadowmancer by G P Taylor - created quite a hit in when it came out England last summer, and was another one that got children wanting to read. I would say around 9-14, but a good read as an adult, and there are promises of more from the same author. Another story of children against evil, with some mysticism thrown in for good measure.

A footnote: The blurb states that the author "Lives in an abandoned cemetary" - yes, he's a vicar and hisvicarage is next to the church.

#18 Guest_dancing frog_*

Guest_dancing frog_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 21 May 2004 - 09:48 AM

Pratchett's Discworld series isn't really a young children's book. I think it is more in the teenage genre. My older brother and I love them, although my younger brother hasn't read them yet.
The books in the "Unfortunate Events" series isn't really a fantasy series. They take place in the present day, even if they are, for the most part, set in England. These books are great reading though.
I would check out the Artemis Fowl series. These books are fantasy and I know my younger brother (12 years old) likes them a lot. They are also set in England, but involve fairies.

dfrog

#19 floss

floss

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 04:05 PM

dancing frog you are right when you say that Pratchett's Disc World novels are not for young children they are written for the teenage audience however rebekah did not mention a particular age group so I included those books in my recommendation.

rebecka another book within the fantasy genre that children (primary school age)love is "The Day my Bum went Psycho" by Andy Griffiths and I remembered that Irini Savvides wrote Sky Legs.

Some other researchers to keep in mind are Maria Nikolejeva, C.W.Hunt III, and Katheryn Hume ("Fantasy and Mimesis"). Also, the popularity of Harry Potter has led to quite a few journal articles which you could check.

#20 rebekah

rebekah

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 02:15 AM

Hi Dancing frog-I agree that the Discworld novels aren't for children but luckily Terry Prachett has more recently written fantasy books for children-Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents, The Wee Free Men and just out, A Hatful of Sky. The last two are Discworld books for kids, which is great because it means I can include them in my dissertation! I've just finished The Wee Free Men and if you like Discworld books then you'll love it! A Hatful of Sky is the sequel to it. Enjoy! And thanks for the recommendation too xx

#21 Guest_dancing frog_*

Guest_dancing frog_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 24 May 2004 - 11:12 AM

rebekah~
I didn't know about Pratchett's childrens' books. I'll have to check them out. I'm always on the lookout for new books to discover.
Thanks for letting me know and I'm glad I could help.

dfrog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):