This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

That's right, thanks! :thumbsup:

Elizabeth was set up with her own separate maintenance arrangement at Hatfield House, and never spent any time with Henry and Jane, nor with Henry and Anne of Cleves (hey, Henry hardly spent any time with her), nor with Henry and Katherine Howard. It wasn't until Queen Catherine Parr that Lady Elizabeth was welcomed back at court.

Hee, hee!

Continuing to veer away from the topic, talk of suitable partners reminds me of Mary Queen of Scots, who was just six feet and definitely the tallest one in her class. Really tall women confront difficulties today, but imagine the situation for poor Mary in that vertically challenged era. I'm sure one reason she was attracted to the horrid Darnley was the fact that he was just about the only man in the kingdom tall enough to partner her, and like Elizabeth she was a great one for the dancing.

There's a cute story about Elizabeth and the Scottish ambassador which I hope is true. She was questioning him about his mistress, and the Queen asked him if it was correct that Mary was quite tall, much taller than she. He cautiously allowed how this was so, and she said, "Then she is too high, for I myself am neither too high nor too low." So there.

I haven't seen "Elizabeth R" in a long time, but if I recall correctly it also has the dubiously documented bit where Elizabeth, upon hearing of the birth of the future King James, wails in front of her entire court that she is but a barren stock. Highly unlikely. It was a very enjoyable series, though. :blink:

I believe you are thinking of Glenda Jackson in "Mary Queen of Scots", which is also a marvelous, if not quite accurate take on the lives of Elizabeth Tudor and Mary Stuart. They meet face to face twice in the film.

The scene takes place at a court dance. All are merry and gay when Elizabeth receives the news. She falls to the floor (in a very beautiful gown) and bemoans her status. "The Scottish Queen is lighter of a fair son, and I am but barren stock!"

Glenda just chews the scene up!

That must be it. (I'm glad they didn't do the scene in the series.)

I thought Glenda was okay in both movie and series, but my favorite screen Elizabeth remains Bette Davis, who played her twice. (Cate Blanchett was good, too, of course.)

Okay! Now back to the topic! I mean it, this time! (And if I violate the rule again, I'll banish myself from the board, like Ed Norton slapping himself around the office in Fight Club.) :thumbsup: