A questionextensions and arabesques

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 dancerscheese

dancerscheese

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 04:14 PM

hey... I'm new here and all, but I agree with floss. technique IS important, but some people are so focused on extension and flexibility that they're willing to throw line, alignment, and turn out out the window. this is upsetting to me too, and I wanna know why we can't have both? :confused:

#17 Victoria Leigh

Victoria Leigh

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 05:12 PM

Hello dancerscheese, welcome to Ballet Alert! Online :)

Actually, we can have both, but it is a matter of teaching, coaching, and taste. Teachers and coaches who have enough taste to remain faithful to classical technique will not allow this nonsense of extension uber alles, however, there are some who seem to treat the dancers like circus performers and only work on the tricks and ignore the technique, musicality, and artistry. The competitions promote this to a great extent, which is why I don't have much use for them.

#18 JRB

JRB

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 10:47 AM

I missed this discussion on the first go-round. I hope you don't mind if I bring it back up. I agree with all that I have read about the increase in tricks and higher-is better arabesques. When I have had the chance to observe classes in SI where there are students from other areas, I have noticed students attempting to one-up the other. I see the aggressive students being rewarded and praised for the height of their extensions. They are singled out to demonstrate to the class. Often they are the ones with the open hips, the standing leg not turned out,etc. It can be hard to reinforce the proper technique and remind my daughter to listen to her teachers at home that stress good tech and line.
I am happy to hear that many of you don't allow this to go on in your classes and that parents on this site know the right way. I am happy to say my daughter is going to a new SI where tech wins over tricks!;)

#19 Redstorm

Redstorm

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 10:57 AM

My daughters teacher stresses technique. When my daughter was trying to get her leg up higher causing her to lose her turnout, her teacher made her stop and lower her leg until the turnout was correct. Quite a shock to my daughter who found that she was just barely at 90 degrees. But what a difference in the line. She noticed it immediately. I pat those teachers on the back for insisting on technique. Next year when my daughter attempts her first SI's, we will be researching the schools who focus on techinique and not on "tricks".

#20 Pamela Moberg

Pamela Moberg

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 02:54 PM

I urge everyone - student, parent (teachers ought to have done so already) to read "Basic principles..." Always been my bible and also my daughter's (though she now studies law). But Basic principles - though it has the most awful illustrations, has a lot of wisdom and common sense. IMO, the best technique book ever.
There are other good book, though... Have a look at Anna Paskevska's technique books, two of them. Wonderful stuff!!!

#21 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 07:48 PM

Are you referring to "Basic Principles of Classical Ballet Technique" by Agrippina Vaganova? I always thought the illustrations were very clear. What don't you like about them?

#22 Pamela Moberg

Pamela Moberg

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 02:42 PM

Yes, Hans, I am referring to THAT Basic principles. My old very wellthumbed copy is from 1953, maybe they have different illustrations in newer editions.
OK, I do agree with you that they are clear, but I prefer drawings with dancers in tights and leotards, not those half long skirts. :)

#23 Swanilda

Swanilda

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 01:23 PM

Where is the original link? I looked on young dancers and couldn't find it. Also, why is it so important for the leg to be so behind the body. Of course it can't be out to the side, but if the dancer is hyperextended, then the lower part of the leg may extend outside of the shoulder while still being in a correct alignment. I have one excellent teacher who happens to insist upon my leg being more and more and MORE behind me. It is frusterating because I can't figure out how to use the turnout on the working leg or how to balance with it that far behind me.

#24 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 03:13 PM

Try this:

http://www.balletale...20&pagenumber=1

You'll see what we're talking about.

#25 Swanilda

Swanilda

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 10:03 AM

Thanks....yep, that cleared things up!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):