This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Kathleen Battle in Florida.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ed Waffle

Ed Waffle

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 07:16 PM

From the review--follow the link below for all of it:

"The petite soprano's scorched-earth displays of temperament are the stuff of legend, and Monday night her capable if prosaic pianist Howard Watkins was visited with Battle's unique brand of shock and awe."

http://www.sun-senti.....nment-classic

#2 grace

grace

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 28 March 2003 - 02:21 AM

"The soprano repeatedly cued him with impatient arm waves, once stamping her foot and hitting the piano lid in frustration. After they exited the stage at intermission, with Battle vehemently remonstrating with the rattled pianist, one half-expected to see Watkins return for the second half with his head bandaged."

;)

#3 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 28 March 2003 - 04:34 AM

I believe that after the diva's performances with the Chicago Lyric Opera, the stage crew had tee shirts made up that read, "I Survived The Battle." They become a hot item with the rest of the company!

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,482 posts

Posted 28 March 2003 - 12:19 PM

Interesting, I heard the same anecdote, only it was San Francisco Opera.

I am sorry for her. This isn't artistic temperament, it's self-destruction.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):