This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Ondine

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 glebb

glebb

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 03:57 AM

I'm not sure, but I think there is, or is to be a reconstruction of "Ondine" performed in Russia.

Has anyone seen the Washington Ballet (pre-National Ballet of Washington) version, with Mimi Paul as the doomed Naiad?

#2 glebb

glebb

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 20 July 2003 - 12:01 PM

Has anyone seen any version of "Ondine?"

#3 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,279 posts

Posted 20 July 2003 - 01:00 PM

Not live, alas. There is a tape of the Royal Ballet's Ondine -- a condensed version (Fonteyn and Somes) -- which I like very much. It has Fonteyn's Shadow Dance, which is lovely. And the opening, where the movement of the dancers standing on the deck of a ship suggests the movement of the waves, is striking.

Glebb, I think there may have been some discussion of Ondine when it was revived. You might want to do a search on the Royal Ballet forum. It was interesting that when the ballet was new, people felt that the music was unsuited to the theme -- expecting Ashton to make an old-fashioned, neo-romantic ballet. Fifty years later, many felt that the music and choreography were fine, it was the fussy designs that made the ballet seem dated.

#4 grace

grace

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 06:37 AM

glebb, i was in london at the time of the revival of ashton's ondine, and saw most performances (late 80's). what was it that you wanted to talk about? (sorry if i have been too dumb or too distracted to work that out... :unsure: )

#5 glebb

glebb

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 07:39 AM

Thanks Grace and Alexandra. I was searching for descriptions and impressions.

I like Alexandra's recollection of dancers as waves. I am also curious about the famous shadow dance. The original Ondine was Cerrito, correct? I seem to remember reading that she did her own choreography.

We discuss many ballets here and "Ondine" seems a bit of a mystery. B)

I'll try to get more out of Lynn Wallis this spring.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):