This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

"Not Strictly Rubens" by the Royal Ballet of Flanders, Belgi

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 Marc Haegeman

Marc Haegeman

Platinum Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 04 March 2003 - 09:41 AM

Yes, Viviane, I saw that cast as well and enjoyed Olga Volobueva a great deal, too. Incidentally, Volobueva is a former Kirov Ballet soloist. In 1995 she joined Colorado Ballet and danced quite a lot of Balanchine with that company. In 2000 she joined the Royal Ballet of Flanders and is now first soloist.

I agree it's not with the most attractive works they are touring, or at least not the works that show them from their best angle, but as far as I heard all performances of "Not Strictly Rubens" here were sold out.

#17 Estelle

Estelle

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 04 March 2003 - 03:31 PM

The bizarre "Swan Lake" you mention was performed in Paris one or two seasons ago. I didn't see it- actually the weird photographs on the posters and what I had read about it didn't make me feel especially eager to see it... It got reviewed in several newspapers, and perhaps more than if it had been a "real" classical ballet (some critics are interested only in modern dance, and will never review a traditional production :D )

#18 Marc Haegeman

Marc Haegeman

Platinum Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 12:18 AM

Yes, they performed it in "Thtre de la Ville" in Paris last year.

Estelle, any production of "Swan Lake" that claims to do better than Petipa and is (as we are reminded in the programme book by artistic director Robert Denvers) "more interesting and logical to read than most 'Swan Lake' productions on offer today", can never get enough attention :D.

Anyway, for anyone feeling the urge, here's the link to the official RBoF site (in 4 languages): http://www.koninklij...nvlaanderen.be/

Perhaps we could move this to the Other International Ballet Companies section, Alexandra?

#19 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 10:16 AM

Glad to, Marc. NBofFl now has its very own forum. Perhaps this will stir them to do bigger and more classical things. :)

#20 Viviane

Viviane

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 07:01 AM

Since all performances in Antwerp were sold out, there is an extra evening : 27 March 2003.
Marc, is it possible we have missed out on something ? ;)

#21 Marc Haegeman

Marc Haegeman

Platinum Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 09:15 AM

Yes, small wonder with all that publicity preceding the thing.

Viviane, we hope you'll tell us all about your second experience with "Not Strictly Rubens" :D

#22 Viviane

Viviane

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 09:49 AM

hmm, well if I need to do a self-sacrifice, I'd rather go and see 'Swan Lake' a second time
:rolleyes:
Can you believe there are a lot of schoolperformances sceduled too ? I have pity on the teacher who need to explain all these
chimeras to teenagers !

#23 beckster

beckster

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 09:01 AM

I saw the Romeo and Juliet in London this weekend, and I actually really liked it. I'm very glad I didn't see "not strictly reubens" which by all accounts did not go down well - people walking out, etc. My ballet teacher said it was a fiasco. But R&J was very good, I thought. Technically difficult and well-executed. Mercutio was great - and he, romeo and benvolio were really brilliant together as well. I took a friend who had never been to the ballet before and he liked it too - possibly because they chopped bits out so there was less time to get bored in!

#24 Viviane

Viviane

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 11:11 AM

beckster, I would love to hear which cast you saw.

#25 beckster

beckster

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 06:05 AM

Please excuse spelling errors!

Juliet - Aysem Sunal
Romeo - Jeroen Hofmans
Mercutio - Alain Honorez
Tybalt - Guiseppe Nocera
Benvolio - Sanny Kleef
Paris - Artur Lill
Lady Cap - Ninon Neyt
Lord Cap - Gideon Louw
Friar - Mark Cortez
Nurse - Agalie Vandamme

#26 grace

grace

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 06:50 AM

just as an aside, i know nothing of this man as a choreographer (except the amusing reviews i've read above...) but i believe this is the same Marc Bogaerts, who was extremely well-received as a guest teacher in sydney and melbourne, a few years ago, with a system (his own, i believe) for teaching ballet dancers to move in more 'contemporary' ways - (no i don't mean destroying ballet - i mean improving their ballet, and their employability, with an approach to teaching contemporary class which was much admired by other teachers.) i wasn't there - i can only report what i heard from reliable sources. :)

#27 Marc Haegeman

Marc Haegeman

Platinum Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 09:47 AM

Grace, it is definitely the same Marc Bogaerts who worked among others at the Australian Conservatory of Ballet, teaching his system, which is allegedly based on a combination of Vaganova and Limon. Bogaerts is said to be convinced that modern dance technique dangerously stagnated since the disappearance of Limon and Graham, and therefore devised his own to save it all. Shame it didn't save him.

Thanks, Beckster, that's about the "Romeo and Juliet" cast we had last December. What did you think of Sunal as Juliet?
Anybody else who saw them?

#28 grace

grace

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 15 May 2003 - 06:41 PM

thanks marc.
i'd be inclined to agree with him, re the absence from view of technical development in contemporary dance, since the phase/era/stage of graham & limon. i wish i had seen this method of his, because its underlying principles make sense to me. thanks for confirming that.

#29 beckster

beckster

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 May 2003 - 03:55 AM

I'm not very good at reviews I'm afraid. I always want to write something intelligent and insightful and end up saying something like "I didn't like Romeo's hair much".

Anyway. Juliet. I liked her, but she hasn't stuck in my mind the way the three men have. She was so tiny, and quite convincing in the part. And she danced very well, there was nothing I can put my finger on, but she didn't make me go "wow". I can't actually remember anything about her that stood out for me. I guess I noticed the choreography more than the dancer - is that weird?

I will say that one thing I liked about this version of the ballet was that Juliet wakes up after Romeo takes the poison but before he dies - it makes it more poignant when they realise what's happened.

#30 Viviane

Viviane

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 16 May 2003 - 11:38 AM

Beckster, your description of Aysem Sunal is completely what I see... and not see in her. She's a good dancer, tiny indeed : must be heavenly for her partners who need to lift her ;) but....she never makes me go 'Wow', to use your words ! She can be completely blank. Your interpretation that you noticed the choreography more than the dancer, isn't a surprise to me !

Jeroen Hofmans and Alain Honorez, both come from the company's school. Hofmans must be known by NYCB-fans, he's been a soloist there for a couple of years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):